Newbie intro

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

Someone mentioned a 100L board. In my opinion too small for early learning and progression, and too small for Horne Lake. At 130 lbs - I would suggest a 115-120 (the little extra makes a huge difference in early planning and waterstarts - as well as upwind drift-home sailing at the end of day at Horne.)

I'm a bit heavier than you at 145 or so, have a 101L as my big board and can certainly say it'd be marginal for a beginner (Carla is your weight and finds the same thing, her 120 is so much easier for her. We also found that to be very true for the participants at an Aloha Clinic in Maui with several folks similar to you.) My opinion/comment is mostly due to technique development where the 115 is just so forgiving and the 100 will take you some finesse.

Getting a second board at 85L later on will cover practically everything local at your weight. Try to find used 4.0, 4.7, and 5.5 sails - and use the smallest most often (small sail, big board = faster learning).

See you at Nitinat, hopefully soon! :D
We windsurf - life must be good!
Jfish

Post by Jfish »

I have to say that being a teacher allows for pretty decent progression - summers are the time for consistent thermals at Nitinaht. It is why I think I was able to get through the learning curve at a decent pace. If that is your career choice, in my opinion, it is a perfect match - at least in the beginning. Unfortunately, now when I want to get out at CB during southeast storms I am usually teaching :(

In terms of boards, I would concur with Geoffy. To learn to waterstart, uphaul, hook in and get in the footstraps all can be done a little floatier board.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

I second Nanmoo, Windoc and Marty. Windsurfing AND kiting are both a fun step sideways from surfing. You can end up slaloming the surfers on either on the wave ;). I think it takes bigger huevos to strap a kite to yourself in 30 knots than go waterstart a windsurfer Winddude -lol! The learning curve on windsurfing can be shortened if you do find good water-starting instructions from an experienced person at the beach, and you can uphaul for a few years in any wind condition- nothing wrong with that. waterstarting in knee deep water is a great way to learn to waterstart. W247 and I did that and taught gfs with the ducks in Esquimalt lagoon when that was ok- before the ducks got sensitive like Windude.
curses - foiled again!
Mrnorthsouth
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Mrnorthsouth »

Thanks everyone for the input, its one thing to sift through all the info online but having it relevant to local conditions and my weight/skill is priceless. I am stoked to get started and get out on the water. I am watching for used gear and send some messages to see about getting a lesson in the next few weeks.
I know I will have many more questions so I will be drawing on everyones experience as I go.
Thanks again
jim mckenzie

Post by jim mckenzie »

I, too, am 130 lbs.. Here's my gear list, big to small.

110ish slalom board and 6.5 cambered sail

95ish slalom board and same sail

75-80 litre wave board and 5.8 wave sail. (favourite setup)

same board and 5.0 sail

under 75 litre wave board and 4.0 sail.

So that's 4 boards and 4 sails.
One fin for each board but two for the 110 slalom (one regular size and one larger for lightest winds).

I have tried 7.5 sailing but it is exhausting (for me).

At 130 lbs., sailing in winds much over 30 knots is sketchy as even the small board is hard to keep down...On the other hand, getting out before everyone else and/or sailing smaller gear is a nice advantage to maximize upon. A somewhat larger first board, say 120, would be fine for you too. Much over 130 will likely seem too big, in my opinion.
firstonlastoff

Post by firstonlastoff »

Lots of good advice already, and I'm wasting a few more electrons reiterating some of it.
1. There is no substitute for getting on the right gear for your skill level. It is the best way to have fun and progress. Ask experienced people for advice.
2. Get a helmut and a windsport specific lifejacket, both work as an impact protection at all levels of skill progression, very useful, and the former also assists the top of head low-density follicle challenged.
3. When falling into the water, it is usually better to hang onto the boom with both hands.
4. Definitely take someone who is experienced when purchasing relevant used gear. Gear that has seen a few years that used to be state of the art, and if obtained for relatively low $, doesn't hurt as much when putting 'character' dings & dents into it.
5. Ask those 'friends' about RDM, SDM, euro, US, etc.
6. Some buy used beginner gear, others go to a warm location and take lessons. Pros and cons to both.
7. Check out gear swaps, Columbia Gorge Windsurfing Association, Windance, Jericho Sailing club, message board at Nitnat, etc. (Windance currently has new Mistral boards in relevant volumes.)
8. Welcome.
9. And you won't be the only one watching from your office when conditions are good...
winddude

Post by winddude »

This would be a great board for someone getting into windsurfing, especially if you won't always be sailing in the windiest conditions, http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified- ... r_27213911

It's a few years old, and a little narrower then latest widestyle, so you could maybe haggle a bit on the price.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
Mrnorthsouth
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Mrnorthsouth »

Haha Ya I have emailed him twice and no response yet. Maybe I will try again and see if he responds.
Thanks
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

You can also try the Gorge shops for used rental fleet boards (or go to Maui, sail for a week, and bring home a used rental board, there's lots of 110-120L ones there. :D ) 145L is a bit on the big side for a 130 pound person. But the JPs are good boards!
We windsurf - life must be good!
Mrnorthsouth
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Mrnorthsouth »

Ya I will look into that, budget wise we won't be traveling anywhere warm until after I'm done school though.
Thanks
goflyakite

Free board!!

Post by goflyakite »

I am moving and am getting rid of a lot of things to downsize.
I have a free windsurf board to give away. It is a Rutger 8'2" gorge freeride board. Excellent condition, hardly used! PM me if you want it!
I kitesurf.......therefore I am.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I have a Kona board i could let you borrow too. I had it for sale once but its too grungy looking to get a descent price, and every time I sail it I can't believe how much fun it is especially in marginal wind (it would be an awesome Horne Lake board). It sails sub-planing well, and goes upwind with the daggerboard or just sinking the rail. But it also is surprisingly fun planing in the straps, it is just a bit like driving a Mack truck on the racetrack. I may be using it for standup paddling or light wind as therapy for my Achilles comeback, but you're welcome to try it for weekend or during the week if there is any wind here (Ross Bay maybe suitable, though its stupidly gusty and shift in there low to the water). Check out the one-design web page.
Mrnorthsouth
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Mrnorthsouth »

That's awesome thank you all, I have a few offers for borrowing boards and even a possible free one pmd you. I'm hoping it works out that Kus can give me an intro at some point in the next few weeks. Going to be a great summer I think!
Mrnorthsouth
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Mrnorthsouth »

I ordered some roof towers for my landcruiser since it didn't come with factory roof rails. I plan on just bolting some steel rectangular material to them. I looked into some nice Van setups but will stick with an suv and pickup for now. Do you guys keep sails and booms in a vehicle or load them onto the roof?
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

My Thule roof box comfortably fits 3 sails and 2 booms but before that sails and booms were inside. Not sure about using steel rectangular material for roof racks onless it's coated with something like a set of Thule bars would be.
Why aren't YOU out there?