Wingfoiling

General discussions about wingfoiling: equipment, tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, pump safety.
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

The Hipe and foil alone were 2000CAD shipped. For a non-oversized package I'm unimpressed with their shipping costs, also they won't combine large items so a group order doesn't help.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

....duties depending on the mood of the customs guy and product coding by the manufacturer resulting in duties can be disastrous....then you get to pay PST/GST....love it when folks compare apples and oranges arguing it’s cheaper elsewhere.
Kinda relieved I won’t deal with that BS and no local support anymore
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

I haven't been charged duty on anything in 20 years, is this still a thing? (in reality, not on paper) My experience is GST/PST on anything above $400ish and customs/broker fee if you get it shipped into Canada vs bring it across the border yourself.

At 1185E, that Gong package would be hard to beat. Prices on EU sites are VAT-inclusive, so non-EU purchasers take 20% off the top, 948E. That more or less covers shipping. 1.55E to Cdn conversion, plus 12% tax, plus $50 broker fee, comes to just under $2k all in.

In contrast, if you want to DIY a package with used gear....the cheapest board you will find is $500-600 (used frankenboard), used wing roughly $600-700, 3 year old gen1 foil $700-800....works out about the same, and that's for older semi beat up gear. Gong is kind of considered middle of the pack in quality, but the hipe inflatable is getting good reviews, they are a leader on that.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

For just over $2k you can get a new old stock mid-level 1 year old mountain bike you can ride 365 days a year rain or shine out the door of your house or just about wherever in the world. That is why wings, kites and windsurfers are always going to remain fringe sports. A lot of money for many days it's actually impossible to use within practical travel distances (like today). It's a shame really that the cost vs usable days is so high regardless of which wind sport we think is the best.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

nanmoo wrote:For just over $2k you can get a new old stock mid-level 1 year old mountain bike you can ride 365 days a year rain or shine out the door of your house or just about wherever in the world. That is why wings, kites and windsurfers are always going to remain fringe sports. A lot of money for many days it's actually impossible to use within practical travel distances (like today). It's a shame really that the cost vs usable days is so high regardless of which wind sport we think is the best.
yep 2 new bikes for me, one carbon all mountain, one XC+, loving it more than ever :idea: but it’s not as fun without having a riding buddy, Jelly is into it and so are some buds, never ridden more....a bit tough distancing tho at times due to stops/chats @ sucking wind hard..I DO look forward to it actually blowing at some point again :roll:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

Zane Schweitzer at Hookipa...
More photos by Jimmie Hepp on his facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=336 ... 5520373755
Attachments
ZaneSchweitzer.jpg
ZaneSchweitzer.jpg (118.74 KiB) Viewed 2990 times
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

is it time we add wing-foiling to the discipline list for the session logs?

or windsurf-foiling
or kitesurf-foiling
or SUP-foiling
or umbrella-foiling
or hankerchief-foiling
or undie-fouling
or waterman fooling...
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Geez Tsawwassen, from the creases in that guy's swimsuit I thought it must be Nanmoo :!: :shock: Thats an amazing loop, looks from the kite pressure like he is on his way down inverted, I wonder if he rotated fast enough to not land on is head on the foil? Guess I'd have to look at the rest of the photos

[edit] I did, wow!!!!!! Extraordinary pics with extraordinary colour and clarity of extraordinary sailors on extraordinary waves in extraordinary warm wind and water. Ah well, grey is good too :roll:
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

Thing is that nobody else MAKES a board like that. Locally available or not.
The compactness of the equipment is about 95% of why I'm trying winging. The Hipe is as compact as you can get without going to a tiny sinker board, since I'm not interested in winging as a +25kt activity I need some volume.
I was all set to buy a new 4-in-1 board but they are a PITA to transport and most are very expensive. Maybe if one comes up used for a good price I'll reconsider. I generally can't afford to buy major items (boards, sails) new and avoid it whenever possible.
shaggy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by shaggy »

Foiling can be affordable if you’re handy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=emb ... t0_dxWO7g8
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

grantmac wrote:...since I'm not interested in winging as a +25kt activity...
Haha, just you wait....
Poultry in motion
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Of my 43 logged sessions in 2020, 34 are winging (windsurfing) and only 9 kiting. Uh oh.

Noting my ongoing succession of sports obsessions, I find that climbing the learning curve, with the daily progression and the rush of small victories, does tend to get addictive!

Winging has been a gas ... with some pretty frustrating light-wind days and some way-better-than-expected high wind days....that's where the WOW is.

[smilie=beer.gif]
themorb

Post by themorb »

grantmac wrote:I was all set to buy a new 4-in-1 board but they are a PITA to transport and most are very expensive.
Based on all the winging pics and vids recently I am questioning whether I will use the mast track much on my 4-in-1 anymore. Thinking I will get a wing and just use it as 3-in-1 -- wave SUP, wave foil, and wing foil. Kind of a hassle dragging around sails, mast, boom, harness if I could replace it all with wing in a small bag.

It is just large enough to flat water SUP without foil (as long as I leave keys and phone behind...) if I'm bored on a calm day. I think if I went shorter and fatter the flat water / non-foil ability would disappear. But maybe once I actually get a wing and get more experience on foil I will want to downsize.

My other thought is I bet a tiny wing might be easier for my kids than their kids windsurf rig. And again, easier/smaller for me to haul around...

2021 could be the year of the wing for me :) Although I don't see how it can replace kiting for really light wind.
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

I feel like I'm still learning a whole lot every time I can windsurf in +25kts so I don't want to spend those days on something I can do in 15kts.
Obviously there will be times, like now with windfoiling, where I could windsurf but choose to foil instead.
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

This week's GONG Newsletter is out with a bunch of good wing tutorial videos and a wild big wind downwind video of Patrice on a 3m in 40+ conditions

Big Wind Wing Downwinder https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSBM8iF ... e=emb_logo

Gong Magazine URL https://www.gong-galaxy.com/magazine/news/

enjoy! have a healthy and happy long weekend everyone!
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu