2005 Nitinat Campsite Info

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Re: 2005 Nitinat Campsite Info

Post by bwd »

bigwavedave wrote:Here is the latest information on the campground at Nitinat from Fred Sieber, Manager, Natural Resource Office (and Campsite Manager), Ditidaht First Nation:
Latest Nitinat news from Fred Sieber:

Ditidaht has hired Dartwin Jeffrey to supervise the Nitinat campsite as of May 27th. I am still the liaison between Ditidaht and and the Ministry of Forests so if users have any comments/complaints/suggestions that can not be resolved with Dartwin they can let either campsite hosts Vic Evans or Dwayne Strong know and they will pass it on to me, if any issues still need attention users can still contact me directly.
Thank you,
Fred Sieber
Manager
Natural Resources Office
Ditidaht First Nation
Tel:(250) 745-3333
work email:
personal email:
AC

lol

Post by AC »

:lol:
jjjim

Post by jjjim »

If you drive just beyond the Caycuse River (over the hill) there's a site at the end of a little road on the right. I think it's an old water access for fire trucks. It looks prime for old style camping. No outhouse at all (bring a shovel?) Far out wilderness motif. And a pretty nice launch out by the rivermouth. Only a moderate walk. Really a very beautiful spot. I think anyone who really objects to the $10 could stay there for free. Or if you just want quiet privacy it would be a nice spot. Of course, anyone connected with the BWD would be gracious guests and leave the place as sweet as they found it. Just a suggestion.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

shhh
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Ditidaht Natural Resource

Caycuse Rearing Channel

Post by Ditidaht Natural Resource »

jjjim wrote:If you drive just beyond the Caycuse River (over the hill) there's a site at the end of a little road on the right. I think it's an old water access for fire trucks. It looks prime for old style camping. No outhouse at all (bring a shovel?) Far out wilderness motif. And a pretty nice launch out by the rivermouth. Only a moderate walk. Really a very beautiful spot. I think anyone who really objects to the $10 could stay there for free. Or if you just want quiet privacy it would be a nice spot. Of course, anyone connected with the BWD would be gracious guests and leave the place as sweet as they found it. Just a suggestion.
Ditidaht First Nation has a lease on this land with Weyerhaeuser it is a man made fish rearing channel (Ditidaht Fisheries Project) and has a very sensitive ecosystem.
Nitinat River WRP: Tsuk-si-tay Groundwater Side Channel and Upslope Management Project 1998.

The road use to be blocked off but someone cut the logs out of the way, we will be re-blocking it off soon (no camping), we are working on a eco-friendley development managment plan.

Also as of April 2005 the old DFO Small Craft Harbors dock and boat launch at the head of the lake has been transfered to the Ditidaht First Nation. We are currently developing a development plan for this site as well.

Fred Sieber
Manager
Natural Resources
Ditidaht First Nation
jjjim

Post by jjjim »

Gee, it looked pretty abandonded to me when I was there last summer. Clearly no one had been there for years. Certainly no fish rearing was happening. Funny, hmmm. So you're "working on" it. That will be interesting to see. Good luck.
Perhaps the windsurf nation should arrange a lease with Weyerhauser or some other God of authority. After all, we are a religion with the rights of any other.
Kus is right, I guess it's best to keep one's mouth shut. Sorry, folks.
Seems like somebody wants to milk the cow at both ends.
Oh well, What-ever.
kitermike

Re: Caycuse Rearing Channel

Post by kitermike »

we are working on a eco-friendley development managment plan.
what the fcuk does this mumbo jumbo mean??
Last edited by kitermike on Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mmmmmmmm............diesel fumes
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Eco friendly?

It means you don't leave your garbage at the campground for someone else to carry out.

It means when your effing dog takes a shit on the beach you clean it up.

It means don't piss off the people who support and facilitate your access to wind.

For example.
I wish my TOW was longer!
kitermike

Post by kitermike »

its actually a bunch of bull sh$t so they can block it off and make you pay at the campground for a parking spot in the ditch and no door on the outhouse. i hope you don't mind when im in there taking a crap reading the morning paper when you walk by.
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

Mike, the biggest part of this shit pile comes from us, users.

When I got to the lake for the first time three years ago, I was amazed how clean and well maintained this place was, how respectful people were and it looked like paradise.

Last year I saw a bunch of yahoos drinking at the campfire and throwing beer bottles on the beach over the shoulder ( yang crowd of mainland kiters ). Not finger pointing or something, just an observation.

I know that some of us ( like KUS and Vic, for example, and I'm sure many more ) make an effort to clean up their camp site after use and take ALL the garbage, not only theirs back with them. But it looks like we get more and more people who doesn't give a rats ass.

My point is that bitching about something is quite easy, making it better is a different story.

As about campsite management. Did you tell Fred you didn't like how it's been maintained?
Cancer must die!
TURTLE

Thank-you Fred

Post by TURTLE »

I thank-you for taking the time to include information on this website. It is a website I visit often. In the past, I have had little information to work with. I applaud you for sharing this communication bulletin.

thank-you.
kitermike

Re: Caycuse Rearing Channel

Post by kitermike »

Ditidaht Natural Resource wrote:
jjjim wrote:If you drive just beyond the Caycuse River (over the hill) there's a site at the end of a little road on the right. I think it's an old water access for fire trucks. It looks prime for old style camping. No outhouse at all (bring a shovel?) Far out wilderness motif. And a pretty nice launch out by the rivermouth. Only a moderate walk. Really a very beautiful spot. I think anyone who really objects to the $10 could stay there for free. Or if you just want quiet privacy it would be a nice spot. Of course, anyone connected with the BWD would be gracious guests and leave the place as sweet as they found it. Just a suggestion.
Ditidaht First Nation has a lease on this land with Weyerhaeuser it is a man made fish rearing channel (Ditidaht Fisheries Project) and has a very sensitive ecosystem.
Nitinat River WRP: Tsuk-si-tay Groundwater Side Channel and Upslope Management Project 1998.

The road use to be blocked off but someone cut the logs out of the way, we will be re-blocking it off soon (no camping), we are working on a eco-friendley development managment plan.

Also as of April 2005 the old DFO Small Craft Harbors dock and boat launch at the head of the lake has been transfered to the Ditidaht First Nation. We are currently developing a development plan for this site as well.

Fred Sieber
Manager
Natural Resources
Ditidaht First Nation
kitermike

Post by kitermike »

i wasnt talking about garbage and stuff, i was talking about them blocking off the secret camping spot that i dont even go to, so i dont really give a sh$t im just backing up what jjjim wrote. now he cant go there cuz of some bull sh$t made up eco - blah blah blah. :evil:

Post by guest »

Hard to ignore this one - buildup of "stuff" is a slippery slope starting with lack of decent service there. Examples - last year I refused to pay three times until TP was restocked, and everyday I was there people would be seen carrying in their own. When they restocked (yes it did work) and came back for $$ I noticed the outhouses were never swept/cleaned, just what was needed to get my money. Coupled with lack of pumping out (what were those $$ for anyway and what's in the Forestry contract??) it was unbearable in there. As it got grosser people would be seen heading for the woods, and soon enough, especially near the upwind end, TP could be seen all over the woods. This is not because there are more kiters there just that end is much easier to go in the woods. Then the other garbage followed! Surprise, surprise people do not generally trash a clean place, but once it starts ... watch out.

I'll find out what it's like this weekend and if outhouses are not in shape and stocked/clean I won't be paying.
Geoff/PHDewd
voodmon
Website Donor
Website Donor

well i guess you're new

Post by voodmon »

It's always been bring your own TP...since i can remember, the first time i sailed nitinat was 1993....it's not a new issue...perhaps you don't remember the meeting we had at perks arena....years ago...with the gov't people...i think it's about time many users realise, that we still have a place to play, a very wonderful place indeed, and the fact that we still have access to it...so respect it, respect the people whose land it's on, and quit bitching...$10.00 bucks a night is cheap no matter where you go on this planet, wake up and smell the wild roses at nitinat...i personally think fred has been doing a great job...yes i know him and know he's a bit of an entrepeneur...but can you blame him ?..maybe i'm out in left field, but we still have a place to play, and i think that's the point here...so, treat it well, pack out all your garbage, don't sh***t in the woods People take there small children up there too, and maybe open your eyes to the fact that the place is a sacred place..so treat it thus...that's all : :shock:
Surfing outside of Platos cave, searching for Blue Skies.