Wingfoiling Progression

General discussions about wingfoiling: equipment, tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, pump safety.
winddoctor
local legend
local legend

Re: Wingfoiling Progression

Post by winddoctor »

How long is the fuse? If possible, perhaps going to shorter fuse or flattening the stab angle to give less front foot pressure? I played a bit with footstraps this summer but find it pretty difficult to nail the position for foot switches on foil and every foil has a different sweet spot for the straps. The jumping personally hasn't been as fun as windsurfing or kiting so far so I keep going back to strapless, I have to admit. Once I get to a full sinker board (tried my 38L twice in dying wind without luck), I'll need straps again. The crashes at high speed getting ready to pop/ jump strapped in have been...uncomfortable :shock: .
Poultry in motion
Tsawwassen
pro
pro

Post by Tsawwassen »

winddoctor wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:33 am How long is the fuse? If possible, perhaps going to shorter fuse or flattening the stab angle to give less front foot pressure? I played a bit with footstraps this summer but find it pretty difficult to nail the position for foot switches on foil and every foil has a different sweet spot for the straps. The jumping personally hasn't been as fun as windsurfing or kiting so far so I keep going back to strapless, I have to admit. Once I get to a full sinker board (tried my 38L twice in dying wind without luck), I'll need straps again. The crashes at high speed getting ready to pop/ jump strapped in have been...uncomfortable :shock: .
Thanks Chris, I'll look into a smaller fuse, I hadn't thought about that. I know what you mean about the jumping, but when I see a ramp I get this urge to send it! It's not quite the same though is it! For sure the foot switch is sketchy, yesterday I had a few wicked crashes before deciding not to try that again! Think I might lose the straps again for a while, maybe like you said until I'm on a much smaller board. Thanks!
AJSpencer
pro
pro

Post by AJSpencer »

I have same issue and think I have the longer hover glide fuse. Moments where it feels really good with front foot in and then a gust, or not, and I feel way far back and am foiling out. My normal balanced position has my front heel on the front foot strap with the front foot straps as far forward as they go. Same on the Slingshot Dialer I had and same on this Naish Hover I use now.
Tsawwassen
pro
pro

Post by Tsawwassen »

Interesting video on shims, maybe this will help but I can't seem to find any info on Moses shims. I'm assuming they are the same but this vid says the Armstrong V tail wing starts at -1 with no shim. Does anyone know what the Moses 450 starts at?
My Moses shims say .5, 1 and 1.5 but it doesn't say if it's positive or negative.

monicavi
rookie
rookie

Post by monicavi »

Moses shims are designed to fit negative. I flipped my 0.5 around and trimmed to fit giving 0.5 positive. Which really took the edge off my 950 at high speed or in waves. Don't go more than 0.5 positive though, or it will get pitchy.

Shims will be the first thing to try. I think somebody logged that they added 1.5 degree of shim. That should have increased front foot pressure, but what it likeley did was add so much drag making speed more manageable and acting like a piece of seaweed on the stab which drops the nose.

I recently swapped out my huge 483 stab for the 330 kite stab. Huge increase in upwind and makes even head high drops into swell feel perfect. Before I would have been standing on my front foot. Just switching those stabs I had to move my mast 2.5" further forward in the tracks with the same 950 wing, fuse and 82 mast. So switching out for a smaller stab like the 399 might help.

The new Sab 700hs puts the front wing over 30mm closer to the mast. Which will bring your front foot back that much.

Then there's baseplate shimming, getting my wizard hat kit in a couple days. Probably more for dock starts and flat water sup pumping.

So 2.5" from the stab, probably 1" from the 0.5 positive shim, 1.5" from switching to the 700HS, and another 1.25" from drilling extra front holes in your mast plate and you can move the front foot pressure 6.75" back without moving the mast position.
monicavi
rookie
rookie

Post by monicavi »

*without moving the mast bolts in the tracks, the mast will move whatever distance you drill the extra front holes.
monicavi
rookie
rookie

Post by monicavi »

*Sorry, you'd have to drill extra rear mast holes. I've just been thinking about drilling new front holes which is something I'm likely going to have to do when my W800 and W1000 finally get here.
Tsawwassen
pro
pro

Post by Tsawwassen »

monicavi wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:33 pm Moses shims are designed to fit negative. I flipped my 0.5 around and trimmed to fit giving 0.5 positive. Which really took the edge off my 950 at high speed or in waves. Don't go more than 0.5 positive though, or it will get pitchy.
Thanks for all the info Monicavi!
monicavi wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:33 pm I think somebody logged that they added 1.5 degree of shim.
That was me.