Foils for Wingfoiling

General discussions about wingfoiling: equipment, tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, pump safety.
smartang

Re: Foils for Wingfoiling

Post by smartang »

Latest Blue Planet Podcast had the Axis designer on. Best technical podcast I've heard so far. Apparently all the pros use the 325 or 300 progressives.

AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Awesome, thanks!
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Anyone know of a Canadian supplier of Axis parts? Kitesource.ca is but is sold out on most things except complete sets. He said he’s open for doing monthly orders for people, but wouldn’t be the fastest service. And also he expects more Axis inventory in Spring.
Had to order new rear foil (400 progressive) from Mac in US.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Have you tried Quickwater Canada in Richmond/Vancouver? Ask for Paul.

-Chris
Poultry in motion
tweezer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tweezer »

For axis, I just order direct from their website. It is shipped from San Fran. Then I use seawings from Blaine.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

I got an Axis 400 Progressive rear foil recently. I had read a while back and had decided ~300 is probably more what I'm after, but for some reason forgot when I ordered and got the big 400. Ever since riding with it, its been super stable but at times too stable, even with a sportier front foil sometimes. I'm considering chopping it down. Dave had mentioned there usually being x-amount of solid carbon before reaching the core. Any idea of how many mm's I might have to stay safely away from core on a straight rear foil like this?
Yes, I blame it for my lack of gybe progress. :wink:
Pretty amazing the influence of the rear foil though. Sometimes it seems to just lock in and truck straight down a wave when it gets really powered up.
smartang

Post by smartang »

I'd keep that tail in case you ever get into dock starts, pumping, downwind sup foiling. Or sell it and get a 300, once you chop it there's no resale and while you'll gain some turning, it'll never be a 300.

If you just want to experiment for fun. There's probably not a lot of core, even if you chop 5cm off each side. If there is a core, just dig a few mm out with a dental pick, and fill each side with quality epoxy. You could even make a filler by pre sanding the area of the tips you're going to cut, collecting the dust, and mix that with some quality 5m epoxy. I would cut square first, dig and fill, then begin fairing and shaping.