Kitsurfing The Gorge- Where?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
AirushDM

Kitsurfing The Gorge- Where?

Post by AirushDM »

Hello,

I am going to the Columbia Gorge and want to do some Kiting. Does anybody know where the best/safest spot would be for an intermediate with camping facilities (tent). I've heard of Home valley and Memaloose.
Any input is appreciated. :D :D
AC

AC

Post by AC »

I think Stevenson is the best spot to kite.
They have changed the launch. I heard and the winds are the most steady 18/25 during the day. Just east of Bridge of the Gods on the washington side. There is good eats all around there Camping facilities and raves are towards The Bridge. Dont cross the river turn Left before Colombia.
Cheers""
Last edited by AC on Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

hmmmm, home valley's got ok camping and great slalom+ sailing but jeez, even for a windsurfer that beach is really threading the needle.....if the wind drops, esp. for a kite I would guess, you are walking a LOOOONG way dood! I'd echo Stevenson.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
AirushDM

Post by AirushDM »

Thanks! I really appreciate it! :D
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Since you are gonna shop anyway (who doesn't) better check with da locals, eh? I prefer camping at Maryhill or Roosevelt, especially early in the year but the current just rips at this time up in the desert. For a kite I expect this would be a nightmare so the farther south, like Stevenson, I would guess the better. Viento's got nice camping too but not sure about sailing from there...closer to St though. 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
skypilot

Post by skypilot »

Stevenson is the best spot to kite in the Gorge - very consistent and steady winds for the gorge and it is very much like conditions at Nitinat. I was there a few years back and the launch was tricky, you had to lay your lines in a Z pattern and then walk into the water - limited space. If it is true that they changed the launch then even better.

The locals are friendly and eager to help launch - I rode there on an 11m as a beginner/intermediate (just learning to jump)

The current is friendly, I had no issues with body dragging back to my gear - I believe the wind and the current run opposite so it is a fairly safe spot. The paddle wheeler docks in Stevenson so you need to keep your eyes open for that!

As far as camping there is a fairground in Stevenson - that allows free camping - ask a local and they will point you in the right direction, the camping is on the hush but good grass area. Or you have the option of hitting Cascade Locks which is on the Oregon side opposite of Stevenson - you cross the Bridge of the Gods to get there - I have stayed at a real nice KOA campground there.

Hope this helps! you can check out a Stevenson webcam in our webcam block on the main page

http://www.skypilotkiteboarding.com/

Later

Skypilot