Economical Cars

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
TURTLE

Economical Cars

Post by TURTLE »

Okay, little off topic maybe ... but I know some of us have similar taste.

Economical Cars (not specifically for windsurfing)

I am thinking about an Echo. Does anyone own one or does anyone have experience with them. Are they any good?
AC

Turtle

Post by AC »

The six cylinder Diesel 80$ fuel can do the Island and Back.
about 900 km.
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Look at the Vibe. Lots of room on top. And, I was surprised at how economical to operate it is.
I wish my TOW was longer!
TURTLE

Eco Cars

Post by TURTLE »

You are saying the Echo has a diesel version?

Anyone know someone with a VIBE? I was looking at that one too.

Last year I was looking at the Arieo(Suzuki) which is not quite as fuel efficient, but it has lots of room...
JL

Post by JL »

AC's on crack! The only deisel cars available here are :M.Benz($), V.W.(T.D.I. Golf , Jetta & Passat) & Smart car..Echo hatch only seats 4.(sedan5).....Check the Mazda web site if you want a practical little MINI-van they are introducing a new model very soon(mazda5)...http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshow/ar ... ge023.html
Thermals are good.
Martin

Echo

Post by Martin »

We have had a 4 door Echo since 2000. About 55,000km now.

Not a single problem to date. We did get ac and auto so it came to close to $20,000 with all taxes but still relatively cheap. ( a $30,000 car is $10,000 more which equals almost 2 winters in La Ventana; priorities! )

We looked at the Honda Civic but they wanted a few thousand more.

It is very economical on gas, has lots of headroom for its size and works great for us. Mostly Sooke to Vic, some trips to Van etc.

Give us a call if you want more info. 642 6197

Martin
JL

Post by JL »

That is logical math!...'Lemon aid' reccomends http://www.budgetcarsalesvictoria.ca/ as a great place to shop used..All cars are bcaa tested & many brands are available..l
Last edited by JL on Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

in my experience Honda/Acura is still unbeatable in quality & economy. Anyone looking too closely at price is saving on the wrong end IF you plan to drive the vehicle for many years. Ford in my view is priced and built as a discardable consumer product, something I would hope all wind/outdoors lovers would not support.....I am driving 2 discard versions myself because used they are worth next to nothing, and even then I wonder if I am in conflict with my beliefs. :oops: mostly because of the mileage thing but we only drive @ 10k a year each. Also the Hondas are still worth almost as much used as new. You may want to chat with any of the crew who recently bought used Honda Odysseys, I am sure they are unanimous. The Mazda's are a close second for me. NorthAmerican stuff, as much as I would want to support our Economy (though they are likely built elsewhere anyhow) is and always has been CRAP!
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
JL

Post by JL »

Interesting that mazda @ ford share engines on there small cars! I wouldn't be afraid to look @ a 'Focus'..
Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

well, never owned a Mazda, relying on others for feedback but they look well thought out and slick....As an aside, BMW made the engines for the Mini I understand but I know first hand that those cars are just a nightmare right off the lot and it stems from electrical and systems integration, including assembly, not the engine themselves. The whole Honda package has never had any of those issues. Any "Looks" are deceiving I suppose. :wink: That's how I ended up with my current van (and a few girls along the way when I was younger who I'd rather forget about... :oops: )
Last edited by KUS on Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
JL

Post by JL »

http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/12/14/ ... _in_detail Oops! I think we lost 'Turtle' a while back Kus..
Thermals are good.
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

I wish my TOW was longer!
TURTLE

Cars

Post by TURTLE »

As long as it is green, cheap and gets good mileage sign me up!!