Flat water foiling spots

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Flat water foiling spots

Post by Bobson »

I'm looking for flat water spots on the island to do some speed foiling.

1. What sites do you know that might work.....?
- I know of Cattle Point/Willows, Sidney Spit, Esq. Lagoon, China Creek and Nitinat (when it flattens out)
- What is the depth of water on the inside of Comox spit at high tide?

I have a 85cm mast so I would need at least 4ft of water depth for safety.
I'm only looking for 15-20kts of wind too.
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
grantmac

Re: Flat water foiling spots

Post by grantmac »

Esquimalt lagoon on the outside near shore can be very flat.
RobDS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by RobDS »

Hey @bobson,
I've wingfoiled several times on the inside of Goose Spit in Comox in a SE. It works pretty well if the tide coincides with the wind. Just give the anchored boats some room, and be careful not to go too far on starboard, i.e. I ran aground a couple of times.
...RobDS
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Pat Bay on a SE (blowing offshore) can be fun. In summer it can get an afternoon 15kt SE that blows right near the airport...just watch out for float planes. In winter, the SE that are sailable at IV can be sailable at Pat Bay with micro ripples and 15+ kts.
Cam
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Cam »

And the water can be warmer in Pat Bay. At least in Summer and maybe a bit so in spring and fall.
jim mckenzie

Post by jim mckenzie »

I sail where the SE wind blows directly into the bay. As the day goes by it slowly shifts to South and the wind becomes offshore, blowing over land on the right. In the process the waves go from lumpy to micro-chop. I have another island downwind so it's not too hazardous. Perhaps one of your bays over there does a similar thing.
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

What about the lee side of cordova spit in Saanichton Bay? I remember watching a couple speed sailing there in a big SE 20+ years ago. The spit is very low so little wind disturbance and the water was butter flat even in 40 knots, it would be silk at 15 or 20. Used to be able to access the regional park at the spit tip (not sure it's still park, might have reverted to Tsawout ownership) through the reserve Sa su Rd, google earth shows it gated off by Oceanside Resort now. You could just tack up from james island pier if you are allowed, or a tiny bit further, with a short gear carry down Arthur Drive on a public beach access there and 200 m slog out from that little bay to clean wind. A possible option without much going to windward is what appears to be public waterfront at Saanichton Bay Park. Bet there is no parking there.
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Bobson »

I like the Saanichton Bay in the lee of Cordova spit on a SE idea, that sounds like a good one. Possibly launch at Bazan Bay and sail upwind then if any issues, blown back to where you started.

I'll have to check out the Pat Bay on the E/SE although I do hesitate to go there because it's the farthest drive, especially after work and fairly shallow and not the best rigging area. Maybe I should leave this one until AJ invites me out.? :-k

I'm looking at the 'new' Ross Bay webcam and thinking that in the lee of Trial Island on a E or NE would be flat and fairly steady wind. Possible launch from McNeil Bay or RB and sail upwind. I think the Twizzler headed down there recently and I've seen an OR kite there quite regularly on a S/Westerly. There is a lot of tidal action there when the tide is running though.
Good Times,
BOBSON!!