oregon

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Globetrotter

oregon

Post by Globetrotter »

Anyone know how long the oregon coast is good for, like manzanita and such. Does it get less consistant as august goes on? Or is it good right into september?... any help would be greatly appreciated, just trying to weight up whether a short trip would be worth it. Thanks,
Todd
...actually is anyone heading down that way in the next few weeks?
mmm wind
bean

Post by bean »

I'm heading to the Gorge on Friday for a week and hoping to sample the coast at Manzanita. I'll try to post if and when. I'd appreciate any advice on nearby camping - free or otherwise - and sailing conditions - best tides etc.

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Hey Bean,

If you have the time, try to check out Oceanside if it looks good. Manzanita is nice because of its short drive from HR, but it is more of a jump spot than DTL sailing. If jumping's what you are after, however, go for it. Good luck!
bwd
Developer
Developer

Re: oregon

Post by bwd »

Globetrotter wrote:Anyone know how long the oregon coast is good for, like manzanita and such. Does it get less consistant as august goes on? Or is it good right into september?...
I would say yes it gets a little less consistent in late August into September. Like Gordon's, sometimes the fog never clears. But I have had good sailing at Florence in September before so it depends. Manzanita usually gets a bit more wind than forecast since it gets a bit of a thermal. Just check out the NOAA link below and NWWeather for the north and central coast and you should be ok.

Here are some weather links to check out:
NOAA: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/pqr/ - pick your spot from the map
NWWeather 5 day forecast - http://www.nwweather.com/5day.php (ok but NOAA is more accurate for the coast)
As you can see there is wind at Florence and south today and N20 for the next 5 days.
bean wrote:I'm heading to the Gorge on Friday for a week and hoping to sample the coast at Manzanita.
If you can, try and check out Oceanside. Manzanita is a little onshore for waveriding and kind of dumpy. There is a state park 5 minutes south of Manzanita (Nehalem Bay State Park) and a free camp spot 20 min south near Wheeler.

Here’s some Coast info:
Oregon Coast Sailing Sites
Oregon Coast Sailing Guide
Iwindsurf Oregon Coast Wind data
Directions to OceanSide
Directions to Manzanita
Directions to Lincoln City
Directions to Florence
bean

Post by bean »

gracias amigos! I also recall some mention of "no frills" camping at a gravel pit in the Gorge. Is it tent friendly and where is it? Thanks again.
Developer
Developer

The Pits

Post by bwd »

bean wrote:gracias amigos! I also recall some mention of "no frills" camping at a gravel pit in the Gorge. Is it tent friendly and where is it? Thanks again.
Hey bean the main gravel pit is up the hill from the China Gorge restaurant near Windance (coming from Windance turn left at the China Gorge and go to the end of the road). Pit is on the right just before the trailhead. They closed it down since there were so many people in July. Maybe it's open again. Most people sleep in their vehicles but a tent would work too.

I'll PM you about the other gravel pit....
dave
Globetrotter

thanks

Post by Globetrotter »

thanks alot for all the info guys,
todd