Kiteboard suggestions

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Medivixen

Kiteboard suggestions

Post by Medivixen »

So of all those that have met me you know I am new to the sport. I have all the gear and the last thing is a board. I would like to start practicing with one pretty soon but I have no idea what kind I board I should get. I would like something that I dont "outgrow" too quickly.
I would love to try different ones out but I dont know if that is possible since I dont know a whole lot of people really well in the sport so my only option may be just to buy one and HOPE its good.
What are your tips or suggestions?
Toner

Kite Board

Post by Toner »

I Like the 135 range Naish thorn, North Dragon. Naish Haze 145 is good for light wind.
Good Luck
rip it up
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

ok, while I am biased because I sell O.R. gear and have sailed mostly O.R. gear and have some boards in stock at Nitinaht, here are my thoughts. Depending on how tall and "aheemmm" heavy or light you are can affect your choices. For instance, I am a larger person, weighing in at 250lbs, so if I want a short board it needs to be a little wider than what someone who weights 170 would need. Flex, concave, length, etc etc are what make the board perform a particular way. Longer boards allow you go upwind quicker and ride in lighter winds and smooth out the ride in choppy conditions, however as you progress and start to sail in heavier wind, holding the edge to go upwind can become an issue. This is where concave comes into the picture. For instance, the O.R. Mako is fairly long at 150cm, however it has a huge concave bottom that allows it to hold its edge extremely well, making it one of the best boards I know of for sheer speed, going upwind and carving fat turns at all wind ranges. Shorter boards (123-142cm) are good for medium to high windranges as there is less surface area required to hold the edge in the water. They are easier to do tricks with as you don't have as much weight and length to deal with, especially with grabs or spins. This being said, that can also skip out from under you easier as well. Now comes the question of durability/'construct quality. In my mind their are only a few manufactures out there (aside from boutique custom made boards) that have durablilty in mind while designing their boards, and Ocean Rodeo is one of those companies. They have a few models, the Legend, Zen and Mako. The legend is a "beginner" board, however it is decent all around in its design so you can use it well past the learning stages. This is where the zen comes in, it is available in smaller sizes, has a bit of concave and decent flex making it a great board all around. The Mako as I mentioned earlier is available (at this time) in a 150cm length, and is a great board for waves, chop, flat water etc etc but may not be the best for learning, I cannnot really tell you much as I have not ridden this board...YET as I myself am looking forward to purchasing one in the very near future. All this info comes from conversations with others and my own riding experience. At the moment the store at Nitinaht has Zens and Makos in stock. See you on the water.
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
Medivixen

Post by Medivixen »

thanks that helps a bit. :D
foilboy

Post by foilboy »

Good summary by Dale. I can comment a bit since I have ridden a variety of boards including the Mako (love it) and my wife's board, which is a Spleene Session 141. The Mako is not a good beginner board as it needs a fair bit of power, speed and slides out easily, all of which I like, but a beginner probably would not. My wife did not like it. Her Spleene works well for her in light wind, goes upwind easily, needs little speed and has good grip. Greatest OR board for beginners I found the Dorado, which they no longer make (c'mon guys) but you may find a used one.
Just my two cents,

Chris