Sailboats

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
JL

Sailboats

Post by JL »

Interesting concept: www.containeryachts.com
Last edited by JL on Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thermals are good.
asscrack

Container Yachts

Post by asscrack »

Nice,interesting concept.How Much?$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :roll:
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and Life is a beach
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Not much room inside with an 8 ft beam, lots of cost in things like moorage for not a lot of useable space (ever been inside an 8 metre?). But I guess those canal boats are pretty comfortable, they have similar lines. I wonder if the keels kept in different areas and exchanged as needed or shipped inside the container? If you had a supply of these different places it would cut costs for shipping all that lead.

But if you had the money for this and shipping it around, you could just charter a bareboat for cheaper (for short cruises, I guess if you go for a couple of years you could go to a bunch of destinations economically)
JL

Post by JL »

F.A.Q's covered all those points. I just thought it was a novel strategy.
Thermals are good.
frank

Great to see some interest

Post by frank »

in this new concept.... I have just purchased one of the boat ("Oceane") that Bernie Blum owns, he is the guy behind this whole project....

They have just launched the boat wednesday in Portland, and did the first sea trial....performance were better than anticipated by Bob Perry the naval architect involved in the project.

I do strongly believe in this concept, because true sailor won't charter a crappy production boat when oversea....and given the freight cost involve in moving a boat...exemple Miami-San Diego by truck=$15kusd by float boat=$23kusd but by container=$5kusd anywhere in the world,.... and you get to sail your own boat with equipment you like and that delivers the performance way better than a Hunter or similar!!. In my case all those cost are too prohibitive, so i'll sail my cheoy lee 43 long range MS on it's own bottom....but that will take 2-3 months!!!

For all those reason, "longue vie" to "Boat in a Box"....

Right now (it left yesterday), Far Harbour, is behing ship to east cost, in a container for $2200usd in less that a week....hard to beat....

I will get to try Far Harbour in early January in Miami, and i"ll post feedback. Yes she's narrow, but she performs like a racing boat with amenities of a cruising boat....what more can we ask....

cheers,
frank

I'll also post the adventure of "Oceane a gale chaser" during the winter months...hopefully some great surfing, windsurfing & kiting adventure are ahead....look for "Oceane" on Van Isle for summer 2007, if I don't sink her on het maiden voyage to west coast!!!!????
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Oh, didn't see the FAQ. Beam is only 7 ft 4. But seems like a well-thought out business plan/concept for a niche market!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

if youre going to container your yacht back home from maui can you chuck a few sails in there for me? thanks :P
JL

Post by JL »

Thanks Frank. Please keep us posted. Pictures would be nice.
Thermals are good.
frank

container yachts

Post by frank »

here's two shots...

one of Far Harbour as it was being launched this week in Portland.

one of DayBreak/Oceane a Cheoy Lee 43 long range(2000nm)motorsailor.
note that she' a keth rig with two 100% Carbon mast... she's waiting for us in FT-Lauderdale...

I'll post some more shots as the trip goes on starting in January...
Attachments
dbkeywb.jpg
dbkeywb.jpg (55.22 KiB) Viewed 2563 times
far harbour.jpg
far harbour.jpg (75.6 KiB) Viewed 2563 times
JL

Post by JL »

Thanks. Nice yachts. Those look like wooden masts on the Cheoy Lee though.
Last edited by JL on Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

nice....if ya can afford the flights AND $5 grand plus dock loading fees. As most of us don't stray too far I still love the concept of towable, fast boats. Be it Ontario great lakes, east coast, Baja, you travel in your truck, sleep in your boat as an RV til you get there.
http://www.f-boat.com/indexphoto1.html
The new F22 is almost ready for purchase, home build kits are already available. And: no longterm moorage, multihull that fits in a regular slip, is FAAASSSTTT, allows rigging windsurf gear on deck :!: :!: For those wanting more speed and space, the F31's are awesome. And because of their speed you may not have to power around too much like all the monohulls around here :roll: Just yesterday I was yelling to waving boaters under power: "She's a 'SAIL '-boat" :lol:
http://www.f-boat.com/pages/trimarans/F-22.html Love the 22 cuz it's small and versatile, the more compfy 39 is of course much nicer http://www.f-boat.com/pages/trimarans/F-39.html
....and maybe a bit faster :twisted:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
JL

Post by JL »

Thanks Kus. While I am impressed with the container concepy my reality does allow for a an 'F 22' in the future. I can see Hornby etc. in that baby. In fact just this a.m. I was telling a friend that the only 'yacht' I see in my future would be on a trailer in my yard. Here is a good link for deals.... http://www.saltsociety.com/html/boats.html
Thermals are good.
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

My, this photo looked familiar to me. I solo Kayaked there. Any guesses where it is?

http://www.f-boat.com/pages/faq.html#high
Signature Block.
gnome

F18 For sale

Post by gnome »

Well, I certainly wasn't going to try to flog this here, but since Kus has mentioned it.... we happen to have a Farrier-designed Trailertri F18 for sale!! It is in great shape, has just had the hulls repainted, and is ready to go. Just took it out for the long weekend, and we were able to sail when many other boats were not. We motored a lot (it was a gorgeous, but windless weekend), but spent pennies on gas. Contact us if you are interested. 250-286-4733 or pm me. She sails like a dream...and you could definitely rig your sails on the nets! She is listed on Craig's List
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

hey, I almost bought KEA a couple of years back. Nice little boat! 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....