maui accomodations

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Keen
Contributor
Contributor

maui accomodations

Post by Keen »

I'm planning a trip to Maui and I've never been. Any recommendations on where to stay and what I might expect to pay?

We're looking at getting some kind of rental property rather than hotel. Going with my wife who does not windsurf so some place with proximity to good swimming/relaxing beach and other things to do is desirable.

I've looked at some of the older posts but didn't see much on accomodations. Any fresh info appreciated!

thanks
Keener
Seakelp

Post by Seakelp »

Give 2nd wind a call and talk to Ralph he will set you up http://www.secondwindmaui.com/ or Call, Hale hui kai that's a very nice place beach front with a pool on the south side of the Island http://www.halehuikaimaui.com/ Have fun
Daniel
Graham

Post by Graham »

Hey Keener,

About 10 years ago, my wife and I spent a month on the north shore just past Paia, about 200 yards to Hookipa (and a frisbee's throw away from Mama's Fish House). The place was called Kuau Towers, but is really a 3-storey walkup condo/apartment building - exterior stairs and walkways, decent rooms with kitchens, big green lawn, and everyone there is a windsurfer/kiter.

Hookipa of course is the not best for swimming, but there are a number of beautiful, mostly empty beaches strung along between Paia and Sprecklesville/Kanaha.

Ken was the manager-owner back then. 808-579-8080. Prices were very good.

Hope this helps!
Graham.
dunkinguy

maui accommodation

Post by dunkinguy »

Keener,

Sounds like you might like the Tradewind beach house. Fanatic and his family and Dunkingirl and I stayed there two years ago on Spring Break. We stayed in Hookipa (name of one of the 3 units) It has storage for rigged gear, 50 m. walk with kit down a path to private beach, well, almost private. I had to share with the Pozo twins, Josh Stone and Angulo, Jimmy Diaz, Nik Baker and Greg Grubby Allaway. But other than those Kooks it was all ours. Flat water on inside for beginner/intermediates and jumbo break on outside mainly for jumping. Not a real clean break. Sail few reaches down wind to Kanaha and few tacks up to Sprecks for great wave riding. Snorkeling on the reef right beside the launch. 5 minute drive from Paia Hookipa. Only draw back is it is right at the end of the runway (airport, so there is a bit of jet noise. But, honestly , it wasn't a problem. If you want to stay put and not drive to Kanaha or Hookipa, this is a great option. Units were clean and the owners live in the bottom unit and are really nice. I think it was around 200.00 US per night. We shared this with another couple.
This is a vela property, and you can view the place on the vela website under maui accommodations. There are also several other properties on this site. We rented kit and van from Neil pryde through the Vela resort deal, and that worked out pretty well! JP, Starboard, and new NP sails.
Love The Hate!
UnusuallyLargeRobin

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

Check out maui accomodations on "vacation rental by owner" http://www.vrbo.com or anywhere elsewhere for that matter. I've used it for the past 10 years to find killer accomodations.
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
JL

Post by JL »

Nice one ULR !!!
Thermals are good.
Keen
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Keen »

Thanks for the ideas and links everyone. some good stuff to check out. I've got my work cut out for me it seems.
Keener