Maui

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
JL

Maui

Post by JL »

Anyone familiar with this place: http://www.mauihostel.com/reservations.html Looks to me that with a round trip air ticket a person could fly/stay in the 'surfer' dorm special for ~ $1,000. & that's for a month !!!
Thermals are good.
func

Post by func »

I've stayed there many times - it's the cheapest place on Maui that I could find. Dorm rooms, but you can pay extra for a private room. Good parties at night usually, and they have some racks in the common room for board storage for the windsurfers. Decent kitchen too.

It is in Wailuku, so you need some sort of transportation to get to the beach. Car rentals are really cheap at some times of the year, like $15 a day, but during the busy periods its closer to $100 a day.

Wailuku's not the nicest place in Maui, but I've never had trouble. Car theft is pretty common there - the door locks on our rental were trashed. Ice heads have been known to hide in the bushes at kite beach and grab unattended gear too. Great place though.
Giles Thorp

Maui

Post by Giles Thorp »

Jimmy, I have stayed at the Banana Bungelow in the late 1980's. Cheapest that I know of. If you want to avoid a snorer, opt for a private.
Supper was sometimes available by signing up in the morning. Otherwise you can cook your own food. Great place to learn of local sites, activities. When are you thinking of going? Giles
dunkinguy

maui

Post by dunkinguy »

Our friend stayed at the Bananna Bungalo last year. It was clean, close to Kanaha and Kahaluiand andaloso offers free tours to Haleakala, snorkeling tours and other cool stuff. Dunkingirl and I thought that this would be a good option for a cheap trip next time.
Love The Hate!