Nitinaht damage Report

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Geoffy

Old Nitinat Windsurfing Society Funds

Post by Geoffy »

Hi Joe - It's Geoff, we probably have some funds left in the old Nitinat Windsurfing Society account that could be dedicated towards this extraordinary event, I'll get in touch with Paul and check as it would be the best use of the $$ and consistent with the charter also. Would prefer to see it used towards the latter stages of improvement such as table ressurection, outhouse repair, etc, so that Ministry and Federal budgets go to heavy duty cleanup, but whatever gets things working and moving for the season. Let your contact know. Also someone indicated (Dale maybe?) earlier that cleanup was supposedly fully funded, this does not jive completely with what your guy said?????
We windsurf - life must be good!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Dale's earlier report was for the end Nov/beginning Dec storms. Anyone check it out since the 4 or more later storms? Especially the big westerly. Must be a real mess, I hope there is enough merch wood to get the big/dangerous stuff done by a corp. Maybe we can do a lot of the cleanup ourselves after the hazards have been taken care of?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I kinda doubt there is enough timber for a corp to complete clean-up the way we would imagine.

I figure take care of overhead hazards as a priority B4 anyone's allowed in and shore up the road through MOF, the rest nature and windlovers will take care of, even if it means camping in the road for a while. Don't worry, be happy! 8)

Having a Bobcat or hoe on site for a while would probably be handy to free the road. Bay Pub Chris donation? I'll be packing a big saw, rake and shovel in March-May is all. Think of the cross training benefits :twisted:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia (Tribal) /Aztron

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Ok, here is the latest on what I know. As it stands the campground is unsafe, the main road in blocked not only with trees but partially washed out as well. There is significatly more damage since the first few storms hit, and as far as I know there will be a forest company salvaging the timber and doing cleanup. It is sobering to see the amount of timber down, several of the large spruce have shattered (near the center of the campground). The timeframe as to when the work will begin I do not know, however I do hope that it starts soon as it will take some time just to clear what is down let alone fall/clear uproots and unstable trees.
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

So I assume all the merchantable stuff will be hauled away and therefore no lumber will be milled on site and left for volunteers. I still think that would be nice, if we could work it out somehow. Unfortunately I can't help.

Thanks for all the updates. I hope they can get it cleaned up before bird nesting season.
voodmon

safety first...

Post by voodmon »

I agree, it would be very wise to let people who know what they are doing, do the clean up, it sounds great that we have all kinds of volunteers, but the reality is safety...last thing we need up there is a serious accident...let the pros take care of the big stuff, hangers etc..just my 2 cents..vood out :twisted:
Surfing outside of Platos cave, searching for Blue Skies.
AC

Yep

Post by AC »

I guess it is a good test for my Still MS 480.
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

I would definately agree that this is not a job for anybody unfamiliar with felling and bucking proceedures. This is DEFINATELY a job for seasoned professionals.
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

I received this e-mail from Judi in mid-January:

I am finally able to confirm that clean up of the campsite will be fully funded! All should be ready to go for the 2007 season.

The site is quite damaged - there are over 100 trees down. It's a mess. But hey, chin up - all will be somewhat restored.

I assumed that the clean up was being taken care of by professionals.
I wish my TOW was longer!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

:lol:
I'll be packing a big saw, rake and shovel in March-May is all. Think of the cross training benefits :twisted:
Who's afraid of the big bad wolf :?: Anyone who hasn't been a logger :lol:

so I'm a little giddy today, it's the doldrums I'm sure of it :roll: better have another Warsteiner 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia (Tribal) /Aztron

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Nitinat damage report

Post by Bobson »

So, last I heard the cleanup of the campsite will be fully funded..?? Does anyone know what's going on and when. I'm buying a truck so I'm thinking I could make some Nitinat trips this year(when it warms up a bit) and was wondering what the expected time frame of cleanup will be. Has anything started yet..?? I really enjoy going up to Nitinat early for bigger gear sailing sessions with quiet(er) camping.

any info would be appreciated. :D
Good Times,
BOBSON!!