SnowKiteReconResults:

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Teabag

SnowKiteReconResults:

Post by Teabag »

I wish I had done a lot more since I had plenty of time, but my super batmobile Honda Civic (punishment from rolling my SUV) could not make it that far on the snowy/slushy/icy/big potholes logging road.

After researching a lot in hiking, backcountry skiing books, and looking at pictures on the net etc.... I think that there *might* be 5 potential "close by" area for snowkiting:

1***- Mt Cokely north east aspect (just besides Mt ArrowSmith), in the mountains, accesible on logging road, I've seen some pictures with great potential area. If logging road gates is open it would be no more than a 40 minutes walk. (2-3km)

2*- Nanaimo old ski center (Green Mountain/Gemini Mountain/Nanaimo Lakes). I have tried to went there a Saturday, and could only go where the car could get... I am SO surprise that my car is still alive... Was very impressed with the kind of terrain a honda civic can go!
Anyway, it is not that far, and make sure you get out of there before the gate closure (1430), or you ll have to spend the night. A good thing about exploring this place is if ever there is no wind, you can hike the mountain (1 hour aprox) and get down in ski or snowboard, so your day won't be that waisted.

3*- Beaufort Range: This area is so vast, lot's of snowy open area pictures, but how far are they from the logging roads? It would take a full day to drive up there, drive in logging road and come back, maybe it is not worthed but maybe it is, there might be some good places!

4- Cowichan Lake Area: Mt Service/ El Captain Mountain/ Mt Whymper, the book says there is some clear cut good for descent up to 600m, maybe there is some other clear cut/open area for snowkiting?

5**- Helen Mackenzie Lake near Mt Washington: On my first day there it wasn't windy at all, and a very small portion of the lake wasn't frozen (near the creek), but the rest looked frozen. I still didn't walk on it to verify (yes, I am a chicken).

The second day, there was some gusty wind (morning, my tent almost flew when I finished unpacking everything in it), but by 11 am, a very windy snowstorm hit the place, I almost got lost on the way back, due to very reduce visibility. It took 1 hour 45 in snowshoe, with heavy backpack and a crapy sled used to carry 3 kites and a snowboard. I guess snowkiting this day would have been perfect with a 1m kite:)
nah.....

During 2 other days that I was at Mount washington, the wind seems perfect at the base of ski lift. But it was very strong and gusty on the top. I took a few pictures of other open areas than Mackenzie lakes. If ever I have time I'll explore those areas around mount washington.

Thats it for now, wanted to do a lot more recon but the f%$#$ car can't bring me where I want to go. If any of you decide to give one of these place a try and need a sled or 2 to carry your kites and ski/snowboard, give me a call 382-6978 I'll lend them to you. Just tell me if you find any good spot:)
Or if you need someone to go with I will pay half the gas.
Chris (foilboy) please call me or e-mail me if you go to Mt ArrowSmith, there is some good pics and info in the backcountry skiing book that would be very helpfull, I can scan them and send it to you.

Thats it, have an Happy New Year all!!!
Ian
Globetrotter

Post by Globetrotter »

what about the old forbidden plateau? I haven't been up there in a long time... but its reasonably exposed to the SE and I think* there is sufficient open area? ... I could be wrong on that. I'd be up for some exploring though,
Cheers,
Globe
foilboy

Post by foilboy »

Hi Teabag,
good research with great info.
I just came back from an overnight trip to Lake Helen Mackenzie. I wished I have had a sled. The first day wind was swirly and 0-20km/h the next day even swirlier and 0-35km/h. Needless to say it was really frustrating. The clouds were zipping by steadily above the bowl so I think the place will never get decent wind. Forbidden Plateau was our original destination, but with the gear it already was a major task just to get to the lake. A daytrip to the plateau without camping gear is feasible but a long day.
I would be more inclined to give Mt. Cokely or the Nanaimo ski area a try. Do you have any directions to get there? I would also be happy to get some scans of the book you mentioned. email me at

Cheers,

Chris
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

E-mail sent with all the pics. Im not sure if yahoo has a junk e-mail filter, but if there is look carefully in it so you don't delete it.