EVO INFO

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
richi

EVO INFO

Post by richi »

As there seems to be a high evo population on the Island I'm hoping to get some real feedback on size and range. I'm about to buy a 2004 evo and have the option of 74 or 70l. I weigh 160lb, sail Boundary bay to the gorge. I'm wondering how much of a difference there is between both boards in 3.7 cond. and what the biggest sail used on both boards is and what fin size. Any insight is aprecciated as I'm buying it next week.
Great site Dave rich
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

I have a 2006 Evo70 and before that I have the 2004 version. They are great boards! For my weight (150 lbs), the 70 is the perfect board for me for 3.5-5.0 sailing, or 20 knots+. The 5.0 is fine with it and you could probably even use up to 5.5. I'd consider getting the 74 if it was your only board since the winds around here and in the Gorge tend to be gusty/up&down. I have a 85L FSW board that I use for light winds, so thats why I went with a 70.

So, if its going to be your only board and you want to use it in lighter wind with a 5.8, then get the 74. Most people around here have the 74 and make it work in 18+ or so. If you have a bigger board already then get the 70. You will be surprised at how easily the 70 planes.
dave
morewind

Post by morewind »

I'm riding a 2006 Evo 74, woody. I'm about 170 lbs and use it with 4.2 and 5.0 sails. I've got a 6.0 sail, but have never tried it on the Evo. I doubt a 6.0 would work very well.

One thing I can say is weigh the board before purchase (no straps, no fin). My board is a bit over the max weight spec, and has been given the nickname "Hevo" by the previous poster. Spec's said 6.3kg plus/minus 5% and I think mine came in a 6.8kg or so. Same weight as my 100L RRD freestyle wave. The extra weight doesn't seem to matter.

I have two boards. the evo 74 and the 100L freestyle wave. If I were to have one board I don't think it would be the Evo 74. I would likely go for more volume and get something like a 80L freestyle wave board. I think this would be more versatile in our typical 15-20knot conditions. I seldom go to Nitinat, but if I did only having an Evo 74 would be limiting. Just ask TheLaw about that. :cry:
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

I have the EVO 74 and I think it is the 2005. I am 170lbs and this is my only board. I have a 4.2 and 5.2 that I use. On lighter days I have a slightly larger wave fin that I use and it makes it so I can get planing. I often am sailing when the two above guys are on their freestyle boards. If you are interested in doing light wind freestyle moves the bigger fin setup doesn't really work very well....a freestyle board would be a lot better. At least I can get planing though! There are not many days that I am watching because I can't get planing. Hope this helps.
Give'R
richi

Post by richi »

Thanks for the feedback, I'm leaning towards the 70! cheers
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Hi Rich,

I've been sailing Evos for the last 3+ seasons. The 74 has a fantastic range for me at 195 pounds: 3.7-5.8 with fins of 21-23 cm. For me the limiting factor is not so much the strength of the wind, but the speed of the wave I'm riding. In very strong wind + bigger and faster waves, the Evo 74 is more of a handful in the top turn (it wants to break the tail loose). In these conditions a 70 would fare better with its more parallel (stable at speed) outline for a lighter rider like yourself. The 74 is looser, but the 70 handles speed and power better. One nice thing about the '04 Evo70 is that it has a squash tail which will aid in getting going a little earlier, as well as maintaining speed on a slower wave. It will also give more "pop" for jumping. The 70 and 74 will rock the locations you want to sail! The newer (2005+) round-pin models are a bit better for highwind + chop + higher riding speeds/tighter turns but give up a touch on the low end.

If you haven't sailed an Evo before, make sure you sail the board with equal weight distribution between the feet or you'll be going sideways a lot. A bigger fin helps tracking/upwind ability but kills the fun skatey quality that we Evo lovers dig so much. Best to just get to grips with this one quirk without over-finning. Good luck with the purchase. I have an Evo 74 in near mint condition for sale that has only been used for a season on the buy and sell if you decide in favor of a 74.
Poultry in motion
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I sail the EVO 80 and it's my hi wind board, 3.5-5.3 although it could hold the 5.8 but kinda pointless :roll: as you loose all the fun with larger fin as TrendDoc mentions. HollowBones is 150lbs when wet after a big lunch and even then he likes to use his other board just as much. The 70 is freakin' tiny so you better have an alternative, I know I couldn't even get it going....well....ever.... at 195lbs, used to be 210 and I had trouble then ever getting onto my 80 without much slog starts.
I concur with Chris, as soon as you overfin the fun factor goes down and your finbox wear goes waaaaay up. The leg forward weighting I concur also, if it spins out on you, it's NOT the board. Takes quite some time to learn to use it properly. Also warning that the 2004 has no heelbumpers as I recall, maybe not much of an issue for lightweights :?: but we've seen some damaged boards and I've replaced the finbox in mine after 10 days on the water, my only but serious beef with this board. A-Boxes suck hard :evil: just in case you all didn't hear me the last 100x :lol: In high wind and bigger waves I would prefer an Acid or something of that nature, the EVO feels too wide then but Gorge/ BB would work great. My advice: get a 2005 or younger 74, an 80+ (83?) if you have no other board. 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

"Also warning that the 2004 has no heelbumpers as I recall, maybe not much of an issue for lightweights but we've seen some damaged boards ..."

Just to be clear, the '04 70 has no heel bumpers, while the rest of the Evo line up does for that year.
Poultry in motion
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

winddoctor wrote:"Also warning that the 2004 has no heelbumpers as I recall, maybe not much of an issue for lightweights but we've seen some damaged boards ..."

Just to be clear, the '04 70 has no heel bumpers, while the rest of the Evo line up does for that year.
Darn... I feel like a minority now
Cancer must die!