elk lake

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

themorb

elk lake

Post by themorb »

Hey I just found this: http://vcrc.bc.ca/weather/Current.htm I was thinking it would be cool if this could be integrated into the "Latest Reports"...?

I've never windsurfed at Elk Lake and I hear it's gusty, but it could be useful for those of us who are into sailing dinghies and/or just interested in seeing one more vector on the map...

Anyway maybe everyone here already knew about this weather station, but I'd never seen it before and I thought it was cool........ :)
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Boathouse, if thats the rowing boathouse its in a bit of a sheltered corner of the lake - but it its blowing 15 SW there, the main lake would probably be pretty good. Elk is fun when the water is warm to blast around on the gusts in boardshorts.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Thanks Morb. I have seen that site before. I believe the station is on the SE corner of the boathouse (away from the water a bit). So as MF4 mentioned it could be a bit sheltered. Perhaps we can keep an eye on the readings and then maybe I could add it to the Latest Reports page if its reasonably accurate.

thanks
dave
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Anyone drive past there this morning and see the conditions? The weather station has been reading N or NE all night where everything else is W, also 9 km gusting 20 km - it was windier than that at my sheltered place not too far away, and strong W; its not looking good for the accuracy of that station (and SW and W are the best directions for Elk). Oh, and the current temp is 19.7, why are my fingers frozen?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

cuz you don't heat your house, live on a mountain exposed to high winds and have Raynard's Syndrome :?: Just a guess :wink:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Well, yes, all those things are true, but the other stations were reporting about 8 degrees, so I don't think the Elk Lake 20 degrees was accurate :lol:

Someone at the office finally figured out that the heat had been switched off for the long weekend - no wonder it was cold inside too!

edit 1PM
Just had another look at the site. Its saying "current weather" but the date stamp on the graphs etc is April 6. So maybe it doesn't update very often!