Alta Lake, Whistler

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Alta Lake, Whistler

Post by more force 4 »

Son Roger is moving to Whistler and has a lakefront place. I recall this used to be used longboarding; how much wind does it get, I only hear about Squamish now. Is it worth taking an old board over (I've got a 107 l and a 130 l that he hates because its big and heavy -- he hasn't tried the Kona yet :roll: ) But I'd try and put together a useable kit for him if theres likely to be enough wind.
Graham

Post by Graham »

I lived in Whistler in the late 80's and then again in the mid 90's for a total of 5 years and though there was much talk of the wind on Alta Lake...I went to Squamish every chance I got. On a decent summer afternoon, there is something of a late afternoon thermal - usually around 4:00 - that would create some whitecaps at the north end of the lake, but I never saw anything over 15 knots. Usually 10-12ish. As for the south end and middle of the lake, forget it...there's just not enough fetch for anything but the squirreliest of winds.