Study of Nitinat Lake

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

mortontoemike

Study of Nitinat Lake

Post by mortontoemike »

A group at UBC Ciivil Engineering spent last summer studying the hydrology of Nitinat Lake.

They have posted their preliminary report (a Master's Thesis I think) at http://subcritical.civil.ubc.ca/~efmweb ... Rindex.htm

There is interesting wind and temperature data from last summer and a general discussion of the Lake.

mb
bwd
Developer
Developer

Re: Study of Nitinat Lake

Post by bwd »

mb wrote:A group at UBC Ciivil Engineering spent last summer studying the hydrology of Nitinat Lake.
Excellent - thanks mb. Interesting Met data results. Looks like some good winds in Oct/Nov, but not much sun!

A conversion from m/s: 1 m/s = 1.94 knots or 1m/s ~ 2 knots

I wonder what type of averaging they did for the wind speeds. I don't see any winds in July > 10 knots, or am I missing something. Maybe it is a little sheltered across the lake, or they did some strange averaging.

Wow, that's quite the flood too > 4 metre rise in the lake Oct 17-20!

dave
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Hope they present some interpretation in the report sometime. Otherwise, it doesn't say much. 18 deg water at the surface - pretty nice. Too bad they lost all their wind data from the log dump. "very rough conditions", 10 m per sec wind (20 kt) made data collecting too difficult to complete in the PM? THey should have done all their data collection work in the AM and sailed/kited in the PM!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

BWD - they had the second met station down at the "flats" at the SW end of the lake "Hidilhta'suk", thats why the wind is only 10 kt.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

more force 4 wrote:BWD - they had the second met station down at the "flats" at the SW end of the lake "Hidilhta'suk", thats why the wind is only 10 kt.
ah, thanks. I guess I should of read the text instead of just looking at the pictures.
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better