Chicken Loop length? and tying lines to kite?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Waterose

Chicken Loop length? and tying lines to kite?

Post by Waterose »

Any tips on how to set the quick release pin type chicken loop at the proper length for the first time rigging a kite? :roll:

I forget about the lines #-o and my video is out on loan. Center lines to the leading edge or trailing edge :?: Never rigged one before so........ :roll: ....this could get real interesting....

Determined to try and fly this thing :lol: later today but want to try setting it up etc asap.

Tips much appreciated! Thanks.
Judith
kitesurferdale

setting up

Post by kitesurferdale »

where are you at waterrose, if you are nearby, I would be glad to come down and help. As for the center lines (sheeting control) they connect to the front pigtails, along the leading edge of the kite and the lines on the edge of the bar to the rear of the kite (steering normally). As for the chicken loop, quick release and pin, which manufacturer, I am only aware of O.R. setup, so if similar may be able to help. It is reallllly important that all your lines are even so the kite will fly properly.
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
Waterose

Post by Waterose »

Ladysmith! You are going to come down from LADYSMITH?

I'm in Sooke at the Beachcombers on Kaltasin near Billings Spit before the Sooke River.

Billings Spit is a perfect beginner launch learning place, about 300 or 400 yeards of gentle slope pebble beach in a curved bay so I could be launching from the spit and body dragging home. No one else sails here because it is all private beach access. Maybe I can teach my dog how to launch me or just learn self launching real fast.

Alternatively, there is more help at Tugwell Beach launch but it looks a bit harder and it's more congested.

I have to see if one of my pump(s) will fit the blow it up thing a ma jigs on the kite first. Then, I'm going out to pace off some potential launch areas on the beach and then pray for wind and try to fly this thing.

I may tie the lines to some trees to try and set the chicken loop.

Oh, thanks for the tip re which lines to where. I forgot and .....

Well, here goes nothing.....

Ladysmith?
Maybe best to offer help via the forum as it will help other beginners too.

If I get stuck here i can always go up to Tugwell or over to IV.
Later,
kitesurferdale

carefull

Post by kitesurferdale »

It probably goes without saying, but be really carefull. If you really are going to try flying, go where there will be other kiters so that you will get all the info you need to fly safe and learn the basics. Sure it may be more inconvienient, but hey better safe and inconvienienced that sad and reallly sorry. As for me coming that way, was already thinking about it as I am looking for wind today, so.... you never know!
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
Waterose

Post by Waterose »

Strings, strings, strings everywhere. Too many strings.....
Guest Kiter

Post by Guest Kiter »

if you are really trying this thing for the first time without help, welllll thennn your a bit foolish, no , completely stupid to put it blunty. If you get it wrong (and it can go horribly wrong) you can easily get yourself killed. Get a hold of a qualified instructor (leave a post on this site), wear a helmet and impact vest and go have funj (and boy is it fun!). If you ignore this advice please contact 911 before you go out to let the paramedics/coroner know where to find you.

Phew, got that off my chest.

Caio amigo
Waterose

Post by Waterose »

U R Absolutely right on! I just have a real warped sense of humour.....which few appreciate....
Heading up to Tugwell for some help! Lots of help!
See ya
Got it inflate....sorted out the strings....put on the new loop....bought a new hat (helmet).....and already had some lessons....albeit a couple of years ago....
later,
mshepard

Post by mshepard »

Waterose, we have a mobile kite instuctor, would love to help you out! Check out www.kitesurfer.ca. Chris Bennett is back from teaching all winter in South Africa and is anxious to dip his toes in the frigid pacific. Give us a call at 883-4389 and we can tee something up for you.
me

Post by me »

the best thing to do is to hook into the static loop and just get anybody that is around, like a kid or an old lady to throw the kite straight up directly down wind and you should get going,

hopefully that helps, no need to thank me :D
ldzielak

Post by ldzielak »

Judith,

How did you make out?

Some kite manufactures like all the line to be the same length when the bar is all the way out and other when its all the way in. That is with the power adjustment strap is at full power.

What kite do you have? Have you call the manufacturer, when I replaced my chiken loop line on my slingshot bar they were very helpfull. If you know what to look for, it's easy to tell if you've got it right when the kite is flying. Maybe get an experieced kiter to take it for a spin?

Lee
Waterose

Post by Waterose »

Hey Lee
Thanks for your constructive helpful comments, which I will follow up on..good suggestions....it's a RRD 8.9 to learn on. Did ok on the first day.....gotta a long way to go.....a very long way.....
See ya