the new KITE BEACH

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
wind_dummy

the new KITE BEACH

Post by wind_dummy »

if i was a kiter, i'd be seriously considering adopting Muir Creek as the new 'kite beach' out this way.
windsurfers gave the place up many years ago when timberwest blocked off the beach access to vehicles, which made it just a little too far to haul our heavy gear to the waters edge.... otherwise, myself and others would still be sailling there! ... here are some of the good features about the site :

- better wind (most of the time)
- massive rigging area
- sunny, warm rigging out of the wind
- sandy shallow launch protected from small breakwater
- no trees to potentially crash your kite into
- no windsurfers (anymore) to potentially crash your kite into
- a freshwater source for after session rinse for you and your kite
- safer parking
- perfect for the family to hang on the beach, as you won't freeze your ass off in the wind.

got nothing against kiters, just throwin this out there because tuggwell is kinda limited for it's space.
Gerry

Muir Creek

Post by Gerry »

Thanks Wind_dummy. Will give it a try next time. Gordons is nice spot but really hard on the kites for launching.
Not a good place for a beginner to be learning. Other spots such as Parksville offer huge sandy beaches and no hard objects to crash into.

Gerry
(not a beginner)
JL

Post by JL »

:) A few problems with muire creek: 1. Don't leave pets in car, it gets smokin hot on the road! 2. Bring a tarp or BIG piece of plastic to launch from...BARNACLE CITY. 3. If you walk the trail on the near side of the creek you will be in the wind, otherwise it will be too light (main beach great for families/photographers etc. GOOD POINTS: 1. Perfect spot to start a down winder to Gordons....(plan ahead, have a vehicle @ Gordons!) 2. Nice flat water for workin' those new style moves! 3. WIND!
Thermals are good.
wind_dummy

Post by wind_dummy »

jimmy lewis wrote::) A few problems with muire creek: 1. Don't leave pets in car, it gets smokin hot on the road! 2. Bring a tarp or BIG piece of plastic to launch from...BARNACLE CITY. 3. If you walk the trail on the near side of the creek you will be in the wind, otherwise it will be too light (main beach great for families/photographers etc.
huh?
... forgot to mention go to WEST side of Muir Creek! ... east side does have barnacles
... wind too light ?? huh ?? wat r u talkin' bout ?
... anyone who leaves pet in car should be shot! ... but there is actually some shaded parking
Observer

Muir Creek

Post by Observer »

wind_dummy wrote:... wind too light ?? huh ?? wat r u talkin' bout ?
Yes, thanks for the suggestion. But must say I have heard there is a bit of a wind shadow there - can potentially make it very difficult for kiters.

I notice that windsurfers don't seem to have as much of a problem with this - they slog for a bit and then get the good wind. Not true of kiters.
wind_dummy

Post by wind_dummy »

trust me ... there aint no wind-shadow if you launch out by the lee of the breakwater ON THE WEST-SIDE where it's nice and sandy for your barefeet! not to mention that most of the time it fills in much closer than tugwell. many a time i've played with my flexi-foil right there on the small breakwater because that's where the wind was the best!

have you even launched from the WEST side of Muir JL?

i've seen a few kiters before at the east side and i was wondering why tha hell they were over there :shock:
JL

Post by JL »

:) Wind Dummy...your no dummy..Nope I haven't launched from the WEST side of the creek....Thank's for the tip..Sand gooood!....Jim
Thermals are good.
gerry

new beach

Post by gerry »

Perhaps someone (Jim) can give us a report on the place next time it's windy? Would be nice to launch from a sandy beach oh yes!!
G
Martin

Muir Creek

Post by Martin »

Jl and I used to sail up there quite a bit as the swell is nice to jibe on at the mouth of the creek. The wind does do some wierd directional changes and gust right there but when good it was very good.

The only problem I can think of is parking. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my vehicle there because of the risk of theft ( not the vehicle but whats inside). I wish they would remove the barriers and just sign it " no overnight parking". Dreaming here!
wind_dummy

Re: new beach

Post by wind_dummy »

gerry wrote:Perhaps someone (Jim) can give us a report on the place next time it's windy? Would be nice to launch from a sandy beach oh yes!!
G
sorry, let me refrase this
... when you get to about 1ft. water depth it is a very fine sand, and the beach itself is made up of smooth pebbles of various size mixed with sand for the most part. NOT a true sand beach.

i know i'd still be riding there if i didn't have to pack so much stuff down to the water. that's why i'm suprised you kiters haven't tapped into this :shock:
... would be cool to see someone jump over the tiny little jetty/breakwater there!
guest kiter

new kite beach

Post by guest kiter »

Dreaming that i could wait in the bushes with a high powered rifle to blow the kneecaps off any bastard that tries to break into my car..

dreaming here! :twisted:
wind_dummy

Post by wind_dummy »

... or there's always Club Martin :wink:
local

kitesurfing

Post by local »

8) Hey Winddummy,When are you going to learn to kitesurf?You are definetly watching closely. :wink:
Waterose

Post by Waterose »

Muir is a great [and truly beautiful spot], but honestly, when it comes to sharing resources (wind), as raunchy as Tugwell is, most kiters go out earlier in lighter winds before the windsurfing starts....so I think there is room (wind windows) for both....
Sailors choice.....
(and yes, car vandalism is an issue up there but it's a wonderful place)
Cheers :wink:
JooDee
Waterose

Water Colour Painting of Launch Site at Muir Creek

Post by Waterose »

PS. this might be a really dumb thought, but I've spent hours and hours at the west side of Muir Creek, and did a water colour painting of the bay there (launch site) and it's at http://www.geocities.com/waterose_test/muir.html

Might be of interest to some of U.

Like I said, maybe it's a really dumb idea to post this, but I love the Muir Creek Estuary and bay and the otters etc, and it's a truly wonderful place.

later,
JooDee
Not sure if this html tag is working right? Oh well...yadda yadda yadda.....
Pics available....