Launching from Knob Point?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
TURTLE

Launching from Knob Point?

Post by TURTLE »

I was wondering if anyone knew if there is still road access to Knob point on the other side of Nit Nat Lake. I heard the campground gets crowded in the summer and I was wondering if this was a viable alternative. :?:

Turtle
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

knob point

Post by Bobson »

Hey Turtle, I have no idea about Knob point but was wondering if you were headed up to Nitnat this weekend..?? :roll:
JL

Post by JL »

:? The wind is just off the beach @ knob point..Lots of bugs...Bugs that bite & bugs that sting....
Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

knob

Post by KUS »

road with holes, watch out, if ya see a stick with flag tape in middle of road ya might wanna slow down :shock: ; cougar not so scared there so suggest no kids; gets dark several hours b4 other side, drag :( ; launch good but slippery rock although you might sail when everyone else is sittin and waitin for the line to reach when it rocks up the Caycuse as it does in Aug sometimes, fresh water right there, which is cool. bugs no probs if right on point but have to walk in; kinda lonely :cry:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
TURTLE

Post by TURTLE »

Thanks for the info about the other side of the lake

Yes, I am heading up to Nit Nat this weekend. I am likely to be leaving early Friday afternoon. I am currently planning to be there until Sunday should the weather be lookin' good. This would be my fourth weekend in a row!

I almost feel like I should be paying rent up there!

Turtle :P
TURTLE

Post by TURTLE »

Thank-you Kus and Jimmy Lewis. I appreciate the info.

Turtle :D
kitesurferdale

Road

Post by kitesurferdale »

TURTLE!!

No the road to Knob point no longer exists, two years ago, It washed out, was rebuilt to the tune of $500,000.00 (almost) and then washed out again, so it has stayed that way since. For kiting, not a good launch at all on the other side, nasty nasty nasty.
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!

Re: Launching from Knob Point?

Post by Guest »

TURTLE wrote:I was wondering if anyone knew if there is still road access to Knob point on the other side of Nit Nat Lake. I heard the campground gets crowded in the summer and I was wondering if this was a viable alternative. :?:

Turtle
The MOF took out the the road, said they would repair it next fish window (only allowed to work road certain times of the year) window came they said they had no $ to fix and no plans to fix it been out 2.5 yrs. you might be able to 4x4 up over the mountain by Klanawa 1900 branch I havn't driven over since Oct 03 it's 1.50 hr drive from Nitinat campsite if you know the road. there is no fee at this time for Knob pt. I live on that side of the lake (only house there). Fred Nitinat/Knob Pt. Campsite Manager
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Hi Fred, hope to see you soon!
Morley
TURTLE

Post by TURTLE »

Thank-you all. It appears that campsite is the only viable option for windsurfing at Nit Nat at this point in time.

Thanks Fred,

Turtle
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

alternative site

Post by downwind dave »

I always thought it would be cool to have a short trail into the east end bay from the campus creek boat launch area. Its only 30m or so and theres sometimes sweet waves down in the bay. The problem is its a bushy swamp to cross so there would need to be a boardwalk or a big windfall to walk on. Its a neat spot though, do a downwinder one day and check it out.
themorb

Post by themorb »

Hey just in case anyone is interested, we tried that road Klanawa 1900 last weekend, and made it almost all the way to Knob Point. Some of you probably saw us camping on the log dump directly across from the main campsite. It's a pretty awesome camping spot once you get there but launching is awful - I pretty much had to throw my rig off the rocks and dive in after it.

Anyway like Fred said it took a solid 1.5 hours to drive from the village and the last part was extremely rough and about a 25 degree slope down. (You definitely want 4x4 to get back up!) We spent about 8 hours on Saturday with a couple chainsaws but there are still tons of bushes to drive over.

So if anyone is interested in venturing over there, I can give you more detailed directions. I marked GPS waypoints at all the main turns. I figure a group effort is needed to make the road really usable, so if anyone else is interested we could make some pretty nice alternative camping over there.
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

So you were the guys with the chain saws. I saw you cutting on Saturday late in the day. Thought it was weird and splashed down by the log pile to see what was going on.
I wish my TOW was longer!