Does Size matter...??

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Does Size matter...??

Post by Bobson »

I've got some questions about fin/sail/boad/dude size :?: . I've got a BIc Veloce 86 litre board and I'm a svelt 220lbs :shock: . I'm wondering how big a fin vs. sail I can use with this board. I've got 5.0/5.8 and a 6.9 sails that I would like to use when it's windy on this board but not sure how big the fin needs to be..?? :?: :?:

Is there a calculation that I can do with sail/board/dude size and figure out the fin size I need....?? :D
wind_dummy

Post by wind_dummy »

HA HA , nice topic title bobson dood!

... i know little about this, but seeing as ur a big guy i'd assume u to use a little bigger fin.
bigger = more lift/pointing abilty etc.
the more the wind- the smaller the sail- which means you can drop down fin size if you like.
OR if you want a looser feel, go with a swept back fin
why not 1 med-large size pointer/all terrain type fin for you two bigger sails, and 1 med size swept back fin for ur small sail and the crankin' days?

i'm sure someone else can give you a better response tham me(owner of only 1 fin) ... good luck
JL

Post by JL »

:) Just peeked @ the trident site..13" will work for your 5.8.....I think at this point just use what you've got! p.s. I put a stainless washer in my mistral track and use a chinook base!...ignore the 'car' altogether!
Thermals are good.
KC7777

Fin size calc

Post by KC7777 »

Bobson dude,

Here is a finsize calculation from "Boards" magazine in the UK a few years back, works well:.

For freeride boards <90 litres:

Sail size x 5 + 2 = fin cm

ex. Saxo 86 L and a 5.0 M sail

5 x 5 = 25 + 2 = 27cm fin

For freeride boards >90 L add 4 instead of 2

ex. Carve 99 L and 5.7M sail

5.7 x 5 = 28.5 + 4 = 32.5 cm fin

give or take a few cm. The better sailor you are the less fin you probably need to get planing.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

fins

Post by KUS »

that little equation was probably written by the usual flyweight dude....they got really crappy food in the UK so no wonder.
:lol:
Bobson, go as big as possible when wind is light, you'll know it when you are washing out in gybes or the board goes haywire on a speedrun to drop a size, doesn't help get your gybes easier though. Nitinat is almost always pointer or bump & jump slight sweep, ranging from 13-15" (33-38cm). Watch out though, speed kills, ha! :P BTW I weigh 210, 215 w/ winter fat. Kus
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

So bigger is better.....HA!

Post by Bobson »

:idea: So for us big guys...what you're saying is GO BIG or GET WET!! I like it!! :D So I'm looking for a bigger fin that has one screw that goes through the top of the board(trimbox?)>30cm.

ps. I'm 220 but trying to shed the winter FAT also to be able to slip into the standard Nitnat issued speedo!! :shock:
windsurf247

big fins

Post by windsurf247 »

I figured "Monster Fin MArkus" would have something to say here!! From what I've seen Bobson, whatever Kus is using works....he rips.
I've got a 14.5 blade/pointer and a thin 32 cm swept pointer. You can also try the fins off my wifes boards....yes my wife now owns more boards than me (3) gotta love a wife who sails :lol: I think they are both bigger swept pointers. I'll be home today if you want to grab them or I'll be up tomorrow late afternoon. MAybe we can do a swap for that small sail if you still have it.
Cheers
Rob
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Bigger is Better

Post by Bobson »

Hey W247+1, if you can bring the biggest you're not using that would be great. :D I've got a smaller one that I'll use until you come up. It's for my tiny board that I'll only use if there is >25 kts...it doesn't sound like it will be that windy but we can always hope!! :P

I'm thinking bigger is better for speed as the fella's that have more weight behind them seem to cook on the water!! Not that smaller guys don't it just seems to help...bigger fin, bigger sail, bigger guy, faster speed, it seems that SIZE DOES MATTER!!