Seton Lake, Lillooet site

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Seton Lake, Lillooet site

Post by more force 4 »

Anyone ever sail the Lillooet end of Seton Lake? I tried it a number of times in the early 1980s on a one-design, was always blown off the water after a short survival session. Anyone else remember sailing with the daggerboard looped over your arm?

Seton is probably just right for modern equipment! Don't know windspeeds, but I would guess 25-30 or more most sunny afternoons. Probably rivals individual locations at the Gorge for windiness. Lillooet is always a windy place, especially up the hill where the inflow comes off Seton - whole trees swaying all the time. It is an interesting place for wind generation - coastal-interior thermal differences make the wind come up Seton Lake from the Squamish area, but the strong winds blowing north up the Fraser Canyon at 90 degrees to the Seton seem to accelerate the Seton winds - and there is a venturi effect from the narrowing of the valley here too, so it often cranks. I don't think there is nearly as strong wind further SW, along Seton and Anderson lakes. Warm to hot too - but cold water. There used to be a small launch at the end of the lake a couple of hundred metres south of the hydro intakes (novel hazard!). Directly on-shore, probably wouldn't work for kites and boards would have to pinch to get room to plane off.

I'm curious to see if anyone else ever sailed here, or still does?