Beginner equipment advice

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
duckbill

Post by duckbill »

great idea finding lessons at a warm sunny clime! If your destination has decent gear and good instruction, you'll be planing in the straps and thinking about your jibes by the time you leave. One of things that took me a while to appreciate, but helped speed up my learning the most was RIG IT RIGHT! I'm an intermediate now but when I was a beginner, had I realized my rigging mistakes, I think I would have advanced a lot sooner. So when you start lessons make sure to learn how to rig. Later you'll appreciate the difference.
like a duck to water
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

Here's the link to the Harness line article, hand positions, some stance stuff etc.

http://www.guycribb.com/userfiles/docum ... 0Lines.pdf
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone Unit 3.0,4.0,5.5m;
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuse: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

If you can get in with Guy Cribb, I'd jump at the chance! Gear is bound to be top-notch, and I don't think he lets anyone on the water without the gear being rigged just right. From following the Boards website, I know his and Jem Hall's, & Peter Harts (the other British gurus) sessions fill up early, so I'd book soon. As duckbill noted, you'll probably be planing in control and well on the way to gybing (as they'll spell it!) by the end.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

KUS wrote:now there is a marketing angle nobody has explored fully....wave boards with beverage holders. DWD, a photoshop design creation, if you please? :idea:
there is no way to mount a reliable beverage holder to a waveboard, too much bouncing around causing spillage and loss of fizz; i believe that is why the beer helmet was invented.

i should note since this is the "beginner gear advice" thread - the beer helmet is more of an intermediate level piece of gear, something to aspire to once you master the basics!
Last edited by downwind dave on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Mmmm. My Lucky dispenser! :lol:
Poultry in motion
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

as another caution and as you may note beer consumption may result in you standing on the wrong side of your board :roll: :lol: which could result in unwanted willyskippers, flakas or some other unpronouncable situations that can spill your beer 8)

Love it, DWD
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia (Tribal) /Aztron

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I thought one of the new longboards came with a bev. holder for those light-wind cruising days (seriously, but can't remember which one). The beer helmet is transportable between rigs and boards, though, which clearly has advantages.

Oktoberfest coming, Kus! Just in time to rig one of these up!
Ozz

Post by Ozz »

Thanks for the feed back I have made a desision (being at work has left me lots of time to think) I am going to get a big sail so I can get out in the mediocre winds that seem to prevail hereabouts. Duckbill is right about the rigging. I suspect my rig is not right yet. My learn to windsurf in your livingroom CD says to lean on the sail on the ground to see that the tension is right but doesnt what it should be like when I do. I will try to get to guy cribbs course in Venezuela, if I am lucky I will have a passport in a couple weeks, and if I am even more lucky they will not force me to take my vacation untill a couple of weeks after the deadline and if I am even luckier the course will not be fully booked. I will get another board next year of a somewhat sportier nature. I will go to Nitnat lake and risk my hide to the jellyfish, my cheeze to the bears, my very life to the killer whales, and of course my pride to the transient beach populous and I will earn the right..nay the PRIVILAGE to wear the coveted 2 beer helmet!
See you there :D
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

Almost every new sailor (and many long time) does not apply enough downhaul! Rig to the sails printed specs, measure with a tape till you know it's right by repetition/look/feel. Here's a link to downhaul/outhaul rigging it right, also explanation of how to simulate wind load on land.
http://www.guycribb.com/userfiles/docum ... uthaul.pdf
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone Unit 3.0,4.0,5.5m;
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuse: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu