~~~~~4j~~ Videos

Post links to cool kiteboarding or windsurfing sites with photos, videos or technique.
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

~~~~~4j~~ Videos

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

I made a short (2 minute) video/slideshow from the video and photos I took using my SLR camera on December 26, 2008 at Columbia Beach. Featuring Winddoc, BWD, Ozy and Paul L.

Sorry, no music. I think it is better that you choose your own to suit your taste and mood anyway, rather than be subject to my [sometimes strange] choice in music. So put in your choice of track and then click on the link below:

Windsurfing Columbia Beach, December 26, 2008 (Video/Slideshow)

If you want higher quality you can download the original HD 720p .wmv file (80MB) from the link at the bottom of the page (unfortunately, you have to join Vimeo to see the link).
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

Another short video (2 minutes). Some clips of Bean doing a nice forward, Wingnut charging, Jens and Mattdog slashin'.

Windsurfing/Kiteboarding Columbia Beach December 30, 2008

Edit: Upgraded to HD January 8
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

I finally finished editing the footage from Mattdog's session with the helmetcam on Boxing Day! It was a lot of work reduce the 54 minutes down to 8. Whew.

Mattdog Kiteboarding Columbia Beach December 30, 2008

If this doesn't make one want to try kiteboarding, I don't know what will!

Due to popular demand, I added music, which was difficult from my limited collection. I did warn you before about banjos and fiddles...

Edit:
The first song is Sing by Travis;
The second song is Sleepy Maggie by Ashley MacIsaac, featuring Mary Jane Lamond
Last edited by ~~~~~4j~~ on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandy Beach

helmet cam boxing day

Post by Sandy Beach »

Great video, 4J of Mattdog.

Love the ZEN feeling as soon as you hit the water at the start. It's nice to see the windsurfers out too. Looked cold!
Good music selection.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

like the vids but the cam sure makes everything look pretty unspectacular wavewise....too wide an angle? It looks damn near flat and I recall it was pretty XL that day, no :?: Love watching Mattdog zippin' tho, and yep, nice tunes. You can edit footage for me anytime, 4J :wink:

compared to my cam attempt with the still
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLOFldxdR34

this is pretty sweet....mine was funnier tho :lol: lotsa laughs were had :P
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

Thanks for the comments, it makes all the time spent on the editing worth it to know that others are getting enjoyment out of the video. The waves weren't massive that day, at least not while the footage was captured. But yes, the wide angle does flatten out the terrain. You can get an idea of how the conditions were by these photos, or by my video from the beach. Or look at BWD's video from the same day. Mattdog also told me that the conditions weren't great for jumps, so that is why there isn't any footage of huge airs. Next time, hopefully! I think it would be fun to combine the helmetcam footage with video from the beach. That may give you a better feel for the conditions. I see others taking video...where is it?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

good idea, I was gonna say injecting stills or conversation bits, headshots and social pix is kinda cool....people having a beer 'n hacking each other, gear chatter, dogs taking bit dumps on the rigging area, neighbors and grumpy sea lions is all part of the experience :P
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

and apparently you should show the pavement and come up a couple of times.

Nice vid, 4j, the music really does make it better! I want to see what some big air looks like from the kitecam soon! The transitions from backside to frontside and from riding a wave to heading back out seem so effortless on a kite (especially when Mattdog is sailing!).
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I absolutely loved your first batch of MF4 sailing vids, Morley :D All in good fun, you make such an attractive target sometimes but hey :oops: our community would be much poorer without you and your antics :idea: :o next beach beer's on me for giving you such a hard time :wink:
JL

Post by JL »

& if Kus was a news reporter I'd be watchin' !!! 8)
Thermals are good.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

KUS wrote:next beach beer's on me for giving you such a hard time :wink:
You're on! I may need to borrow your knee braces too. Gotta await the radiologist's musings, man getting old SUCKS ......
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

more force 4 wrote: You're on! I may need to borrow your knee braces too. Gotta await the radiologist's musings, man getting old SUCKS ......
got three spares but I am drifting this thread.....

The helmet videos are such fun, documentation of our community's action.
As said, I really think it would be more "home movies" like if we included interviews, local sights, social aspects a bit etc. rather than focus entirely on the ever-available sailing footage :D Island sailing documentaries is what we need....in fact coupled with home-grown tunes :!: :idea:
JL

Post by JL »

'KUS' cam !!!
Thermals are good.
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

I agree with adding local music! I would have if I could have in my limited time. There are so many good Vancouver Island musicians! On my commute video I actually used two tunes from a local Calgary band: Huevos Rancheros. They are a kind of "surf meets rock-a-billy" band -- really amusing...no longer together though from what I can tell. Anyway, I think would be great to match local music to the place where the video was taken.

And Kus, if you or anyone else wants to help coordinate a short film on the local windsport community, I'd love to contribute. You'd be a great narrator/host. I've always thought that the winter windsurfing/kiteboarding on the Island would make a great Banff Mountain Film Festival film. The calibre of talent out there is really high and, as we know, looks great on video.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I'm soooo in for that.....with whatever efforts......but i think it is common knowledge that I have no talent at all .....so what good am i :?: :lol: that's precisely what I had envisioned tho :twisted: