Kiting Puerto Vallarta

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
MartyD

Kiting Puerto Vallarta

Post by MartyD »

Thinking of doing an all inclusive vacation with the gf.
Anyone kited puerto vallarta or close to there?
Wind conditions, distance to site?
Cj

Post by Cj »

I have a friend who instructs kiting there in the spring through summer months. It's not windy there during the winter but I think April May are the best months for wind and weather. I've been told it's a great place to kite with lots of wind. Pack your 10m and 7m and you should be good. Look to stay near the north end of the city, thats where the kiting is at.
somebody said " go fly a kite".
MartyD

Post by MartyD »

Thanks CJ
The place we are looking at right now is about 30 km north of the city so that would be perfect. Will be there in march if we go so hopefully something will be happening by then.
NickM

Post by NickM »

Best bet if you want to get some good riding in is to go in april or may. There are wicked thermals down there at that time of year. March isnt bad either.

I was just down there at my parents place during christmas, I had one windy day out of 10. I'm going down again after exams at the end of april for 2 weeks, so I should get out more then.

The best wind is out near Bucarias. The Royal Decameron is the closest resort to there (maybe 1 km south).
mhv

Post by mhv »

The Wind Gods must be smiling down on me. Just as I was reading about the wind at Bucarias ,my wife informed me that we were booked into the Royal Decameron for the week of 4th Feb.Does anyone have information about renting windsurfing gear,lessons,etc. in this area?Thanks.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

mhv,

The wind will be pretty light if my time in PV in Jan/Feb a couple of years ago is any indication. We stayed at the Royal Decameron and their "gear" was mummified and useless. I didn't see any other gear for rent at the other hotels or other people even windsurfing. Best option is to rent a surfboard in Sayulita (45 min bus ride away) for some great waves and nice surroundings. WARNING: the tequila at the Royal Decameron is rocket fuel in the worst way. Buy some good stuff and enjoy!
Poultry in motion
MartyD

Post by MartyD »

So puerto vallarta has turned into cancun on march 1.
I have been researching and the season seems to be dec-mayish!! So I think I lucked out!
I will probably get just a day or 2, so anyone kited there or have recommendations for best spots. I have seen a bunch close to cancun but im looking for some trusted info from a local(islander) kiter.
SMACK

Post by SMACK »

Google Earth it and see what looks good. Wind angle; shore break. It's still the ultimate scouting tool.
Chase the day, not the dollar.
Mike T

Post by Mike T »

Any advice on windsurfing/kite/surfing for los cabos area or elsewhere around the southern baja in FEB? locations, rentals ...
cheers
MartyD

Post by MartyD »

I would try La Ventana :idea:
I think there may be a little info about it on this site :roll:
Sandy Beach

puerta vallarta

Post by Sandy Beach »

I agree with Chris and Steph, years ago, Rob and I stayed at the Royal DeCameron in Puerta Vallarta, near Bucerias, and there was not much wind at all. The windsurfing gear that they had available at the time was really old and useless, although that was a number of years ago, so, not sure what they offer now.
Not the best place to travel for wind-related activity from my recollection though.
mhv

Post by mhv »

OK. Just got back from the Royal Decameron(4th to 11th Feb).Windoc,your comments on the windsurfing gear at the hotel were well justified.There was a regular afternoon onshore seabreeze while we were there,however,it was usually too weak to be of any use.On two days the wind got up to about 20 knots for the afternoon,and several kites and boards appeared,mostly launched from a stretch of beach to the north of the hotel.I didn't see any signs of rentals or tuition while we were there.
The best deal for frustrated water sports addicts is a 10 peso bus ride to Sayulita (approx.3/4 hr from the hotel) and rent a surf board,or get surfing lessons.