Anybody been to venezuela

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
The Dogs Bollucks

Anybody been to venezuela

Post by The Dogs Bollucks »

My girlfriend and I are going to Venezuela for a month (April /May) to go kiting but to also do a bit of travelling
Looking for any advice as to where to go or more importantly where not to go .
Margarita , Coche, Los Roques and Caracas are in the cards right now ... and possibly a trip inland to Angel Falls or Merida .
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Dan
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Hey DB,

I'd double check that the season is right for Angel Falls. You're probably ok at that time of the season, but when we were in Venezuela in February a couple of years ago, the falls were supposedly drooling rather than roaring, so we skipped them. Later on there is much more water. Getting into the Amazon is fantastic.

Caracas is a sketchy city. Be ultra on-guard. You often hear of places that are notorious crime centres, but Caracas' rep is well deserved. Try to organize your cab from the airport to Caracas in advance, or ask a local which cabs waiting out front are safe. Some are unmarked but look close enough to official cabs. People have been picked up from the airport by these look-alikes and robbed shortly after by the driver. This being said, we had no trouble anywhere in Venezuela.

Do yourself a favor and order a "parchita" or fresh passion fruit juice on a hot day. Amazing! The small local restaurants and stands have great food. I miss eating there!

Margarita, Coche, Los Roques are all well worth checking out. We had great wind every day in Margarita, and the water is warmer than anywhere else I've sailed. Vadardog and Littlekitergirl may have some good info for you on these spots.

Have a great trip!
Poultry in motion
frank

Post by frank »

Adicora, near Coro, was also great for wavesailing, very cheap, off beaten track & charming little village...that was in 1988!?, but don't think it changed much....

in Caracas, ...they will love to prey on a gringos like you, hoping you got a good tan and not a US passport!!!????
"I stand strong in da babylon...i'm the captain of my soul" Burning Spear
frank

Post by frank »

another, thing....keep your passport all the time/everywhere with you, in case the Policia Militar want "to take you in to do your military service"...that's their favorite excuse to bring you in, and wait for money before letting you continue your trip....!!??
"I stand strong in da babylon...i'm the captain of my soul" Burning Spear
The Dogs Bollucks

Post by The Dogs Bollucks »

Thanks guys ... I try to look as much like a hobo as I can when I travel ... but even so the more I read about Caracas , the more Im horrified ... yet alarmingly intrigued... not sure what to do yet .
Thinking about a sail charter kite trip as well ... recommended by a fellow I met in Brazil
Anyways ... thanks again
Dan