Mystic Beach???

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Bromeus

Mystic Beach???

Post by Bromeus »

Does anyone know if Mystic Beach, in Juan De Fuca Park is any good for Kite Boarding? I am going camping there in a few weeks, and thought if it was I might take my gear.
My experience level is new to the sport. Lessons, and a couple short rides.

thanks
A little wind kindles; much puts out the fire.
George Herbert
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Hi Bromeus, I have camped or hiked by Mystic beach quite a bit, and none of the days I was there were "kiteable" (no wind/almost no wind). I didn't look at the time if the forecast was good at Gordons beach.

I just google earth it and it looks like it would be good on a W,SW.

I would definitively not kite there if I wasn’t able to go upwind easily. On top of that the waves close to shore are usually quite big. The beach is not wide at all, and it is a 45 minutes hike.

It would be great that you tell us when you go and give us a small report of how windy it was when you come back. If you don't mind I could lend you a windometer and you could take some observations during the day. I would then compare them with the same day in Gordon, and decide from there if it is worth to bring gear next time I camp @ Mystic with non kiters friends.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

Ive camped there on a nice westerly day. it looks like nice side/on with typical chop. if you get downwind there are big sandstone bluffs.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Mystic Beach???

Post by KUS »

Bromeus wrote:My experience level is new to the sport. Lessons, and a couple short rides.
I think that's an awesome idea. Recommend going alone too just to add some excitement and being forced to learn to self-launch and then you wouldn't have to impose on your friends. Nothing like a bit of pressure to have to perform, shortens the learning curve and the barnacles there are very small. I'd take only the big kite so when the wind does really come up you will have lots of power or when it dies you have a good pull downwind to the bluffs with the leading edge glued to the water. The board leash will just get in the way of learning to ride toeside, the current there will bring it right back to you anyway. I would further skip the helmet to ensure an even tan :idea: Just remember, don't let everyone know where you are going, that'll really blow the secret spot cover :!: :idea:
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

I think he means that it is a better idea to go to Nitinat or Island View where the learning curve is more forgiving. Good luck Bromeus and be aware that this sport always includes unplanned-for circumstances where assistance is welcome.
curses - foiled again!
Bromeus

Thanks all (Even Kus)

Post by Bromeus »

Thanks for the advice. I would be happy to take the windometer and report back on the conditions.
A little wind kindles; much puts out the fire.
George Herbert