Back to windsurfing

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
KJ

Back to windsurfing

Post by KJ »

Hi all - my first post here. Looks like a great site.

Decided to get back seriously to windsurfing (still my favourite sport) as my youngest is now off to UVic. However, my 15 to 20 year old gear looks pretty worn and needing replacing and I understand that the new stuff is much better anyway.

I've been looking at the current boards and am a little confused on what would be best for me and am hoping to get some advice as to which direction to go in. I'm looking for something suited for Nitinat and, I think, a freeride type board. My current slalom board is 105 litre (about 20 years old) but not sure if this is relevant to the new style boards.

I am about 180 lbs and don't mind spending a bit of money on a decent used but newer board.

Any comments or advice would be much appreciated.

I know, I know, and then there are all the sails, masts, booms. Time to start reading.

Cheers,
Kevin
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

you will be amazed at the incredible progress windsurfing gear has made in the last 20 years. Boards are made of epoxy now so they are super fragile and the foam cores can actually absorb water like a sponge! sails have progressed as well, now they are made of monofilm so you can be nearly invisible! and they degrade in the sunlight and get scratchy and brittle! All the important bits like bases, booms ect are made of carbon now so they can be ridiculously expensive, non repairable AND at the same time, can fail without warning! :twisted: :twisted: Welcome back! :wink:
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

THats very funny Dave! As are so many things that have a strong kernel of truth.....

THe other side of the coin is that the gear really IS much easier to sail and does perform better. And in terms of cost relative to average incomes, its actually WAY cheaper than it was in the late 80s and early 90s.

Now as luck would have it, I just happen to have listed a board for sale today (see the buy and sell).... But if you were sailing a 100 litre slalom board in the 90s, you'd probably be happier on something a bit smaller than it. There are some fantastic deals to be had buying that ancient gear from 2008 that never sold because of the recession. I just bought a new-in-the-box 95 litre board cheaper than the advertised price of most used boards. Brand-new Exocet boards (excellent perfomance and quality) were going fror $650 - $800 US in one store at Hood River.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

But do they have three fins and fancy graphics?!?!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Joostio »

Hey Kevin, welcome back, I just came back from 9 years off myself. are you Kevin fron Ski to Surf?
chewy

Post by chewy »

Hi Kevin, I am just getting out of windsurfing and selling my gear as I have two little kids and a third due shortly. If you are interested I have my stuff in the buy/sell forum under gear must go.Have fun windsurfing again.

Cheers
bbthelooper

Post by bbthelooper »

Hi Kevin, The only reason people are selling their old windsurfing gear is because they are now kiters. Why not skip the aggravation of trying to learn how to jibe for the next 2-5 years and learn how to kite in a week or two.
PS I still have some windsurf gear available just PM me :D
islandrick

Post by islandrick »

Do you have to get out of windsurfing b/c little kids?
KJ

Post by KJ »

Hey guys - thanks for the responses - even the amusing ones.

No, I'm not Kevin from Ski 'n Surf - he still has kids at home.

When my family was young (early 90's) we used to go on camping trips to Nitinat - first ones to camp way downwind of the boat launch, I believe (not so busy then). It was just like a regular family camping trip except for the 5 or 6 hours I was out on the water - worked pretty well for a few years. Then not so good and we got into other things.

All your gear looks interesting. JP boards seem well rated. I will keep in mind as I try to figure out the size I am looking for. The Tabou Rockets seem well reviewed - any opinions on these boards?

In your humble opinions what is the best suited size for newer style boards for Nitinat (freeride probably best describes my sailing preference) I'm kinda thinking 105 to 115 litres for my weight (180) but could be totally out to lunch.

Cheers,
Kevin
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I think you can think at least 10 litres smaller, Kevin. THe new boards are wider and the floatation all seems to be under your feet, making them much more stable than stuff from the early 90s of the same volume. The 95 litre board I just picked up is extemely easy to slog on - don't know yet if it can be uphauled for my weight (about the same as yours) , but so long as you can get a puff to waterstart, it will slog down to no wind at all.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

I weigh 170 and my big gear for nitinat is a 6.2 and a 97l board. Its good down to 4.7 weather and i can just uphaul it if i have to (and i put the rope on!). I say go big if you haven't sailed in many years. assuming a typical nitinat quiver up to 6.5 or so, a board in the 110 range would do you nicely at your weight. Mf4's 107 board would be pretty good. He is recommending a smaller board but note he is an experienced nearly pro-level athlete. if your old board was 105 was that an E-Rock? It would probably still be wicked fun! replacing the late 80s neon wetsuit should be the first priority! :lol:
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Another opinion, Like Dave, I am not a pro like MF4, weigh 185 and utilize my 91L for pretty much all conditions from 4.2-6.0m. While the smaller size probably prevents me from planing in marginal conditions the manueverability is lovely when its up and going, plus its a heck of a lot easier to jam in the car.

Personally I'd love to watch either Dave or MF4 uphaul a sub 100L board when the water isn't glass calm. Just let me get my beach chair and a beer or four first! Uphaul challenge next time we are at the lake anyone? This could be fun! Hollow boned people need not apply, no fair!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Hey Dave didn't say he wasn't pro! He's certainly a whole lot more 'pro' than me, with all his twisty, slidey, flippy moves! The fact that you, Nanmoo, only started windsurfing this year and are already comfortable on a 91 litre board shows not only that you are not only a very fast learner, but that the equipment really does allow a smaller board to be used more often compared to the 'old days'.

Hey, an uphaul competition for next day of 5-10 knots, that sounds like a plan. Couple of beer for the winner. I'm pretty sure I could on my new board provided there was a little wind to balance against - I was sailing the Evo knee deep in the lulls at the Gorge, so long as I had even a little wind I wasn't falling. I did grab the uphaul rope on the Mistral once to save a blown jibe, but it wasn't really an uphaul!
Zodiacmindwarp

Post by Zodiacmindwarp »

If I were you i,d get a 110L freestlye boared ,I just got a 2008 Fanatic skate ,107L just love it ,getting into the spin,s ,the new trick,s are fun ,helps with having the boared.
KJ

Post by KJ »

OK, downwind dave, Ill go for the new wetsuit. But I still like my purple/turquoise one - just too many holes.

My board was (is) a West Wind SS280 - made in Texas I believe. Had lots of fun on it but about ready to break in 2, I think. Had to do some epoxy injection as the fractures started to appear.