Kite-surfers: please give room for hang gliders at cook stre

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
fly boy

Kite-surfers: please give room for hang gliders at cook stre

Post by fly boy »

Hello all. Thanks bigWaveDave for a great site - I find the south island map very useful for hang gliding on the Dallas road waterfront.

I've run into a couple of conflicts while soaring in light winds (low on ridge), and when kite-surfers are close in shore. In light winds, the kites are at the same level or above hang gliders! There is a possibility of a collision, and there is turbulence that comes off the kites that affect us.

It's not too much of a problem with para-gliders, because they can land anywhere in a pinch. All I'm asking is that on a rare day when hang gliders are flying (South days 15mph-20mph), and they are low, is to not crowd them.
Please and thank you.
30knots

Post by 30knots »

Hi.

I'm not so sure that we are crowding you on purpose. In lighter winds you probably have better abillity to fly where you want to, wheras we are more at the mercy of the wind and current.

Your point is well taken, and where possible, I will try to give you plenty of room.
Fly hard, jump high!