new guy

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
jump'njibe'njim

new guy

Post by jump'njibe'njim »

I've been enjoying BWD's site and everyone's discussion so I'm signing up. Glad to know you all. I'm on Mayne Island in the Gulf Islands. Have windsurfed since late 70"s. Not a rock star but have much experience. Done Nitinat since about '85. I sit my gallery mornings so this will give me some fun at work.
I'm learning to kitesuf; bought OR 9 etc. last summer and got into good body dragging at Nitty. Had about six good sessions. I am trying to get up on the board.
question: waterstarting a large twin tip, should I keep the board sideways to start (like I've noticed wakeboarders do) or should I point off wind like I would windsurfing. I've had no luck pointing off so I thought I'd try the wakeboard method. I've taught many others to windsurf waterstart but getting up on the kite is a bit of a hump for me. Any bits of waterstart wisdom would be gobbled up gratefully.
FUN
Howdoyouflythisthing

Post by Howdoyouflythisthing »

Hey, I'm just learning to kitesurf too, but from a wakeboarding background. I've got a 136 twintip, and got up on my board exactly like I do in wakeboarding. Hold the board sideways, and dive the kite in front of the board so the pull comes over the board not from the side. That way it pulls you straight forward up out of the water not sidways, and as soon as you and your board are up onto the surface turn the board to run a bit downwind, not on a reach like the guys who know what they are doing do right away. Just bend your knees a bit and stand up is what I was told wakeboarding, let the kite pull you up don't use your muscles. All beginner wakeboarders get pulled to one side or the other, you have to make sure the board is square to the boat (kite) and get the hang of keeping it that way till your on the surface.

Goodluck
Angus Magee

starting

Post by Angus Magee »

Big Tip!

Point the front of the board exactly where you dive the kite. After about 3 seconds of plaining slowly point up wind. Its that simple
jump'njibe'njim

Post by jump'njibe'njim »

Thanks for the input. I saw wake boarders on t.v. and noticed their sideways start. I'm gonna start sideways, bend my knees deep, begin standing and point at the kite for a few feet and then cut to the side. I'm visualizing it well so it should work...probably...maybe...we'll see. I'm in an onshore beach at low tide situation so I can't go down wind too long. I'm going to post under kitesurfers for onshore advice as I know it's not the best way to start.
Thanks again, JJJ
FUN