Nitinaht Garbage Woes!!!

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Blew By You

Nitinaht Garbage Woes!!!

Post by Blew By You »

I know that I am preaching to the converted but I am going to post this here anyway. When you come out to Nitinaht you have to pack out your garbage. Someone left all their garbage in the little hut on the way out and the following is the note they left:

Thanks for disposing of my garbage!!

We pay for our camp ground pleasures. Had a great time on the water! But wish for some amenities (Toilet paper, garbage dump area etc.)

Thank goodness we brought our own toilet paper & supplied for our fellow campers!

Just a few comments & thoughts
Upset camper who will be back... but will not pay next time

We are talking about the long weekend here. Fred had staff checking the washrooms every day and there apparently was a problem that I didn't notice but I always have spare t.p. anyway.

As far as garbage disposal goes, the entire town of Nitinaht has its garbage picked up and delivered to Port Alberni land fill twice a week at great expense. The 'garbage dump' is supposed to have been closed for the last 3 years. In fact, it was totally cleaned up and only had scrap metal and wood in it before the campers started showing up (also at great expense). There is supposed to be some sort of recycling facility (metal, glass) put in there in the future.

So in the end...

Please don't leave garbage in the park because you are endangering the lives of your fellow campers by attracting bears.

Please don't leave your garbage in town because you do not pay for garbage disposal (it would more than double the camping fees) and the people of Nitinaht do.

If you are upset about something at the park (outhouses or other), please talk to the staff, Fred Sieber, or one of the unofficial camp hosts Aaron or Vic.

Cheers.
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure :(
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

dear upset camper, you paid for rent not amenities. please go camp somewhere else where you will get a little patch of pea gravel with a number tag, comfy buttwipe and trained staff to clean up after you, and leave a space at nitinat for wind lovers who dont mind a little bit of self sufficiency and responsibility.
~ pimp hand ~

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

downwind dave wrote:dear upset camper, you paid for rent not amenities. please go camp somewhere else where you will get a little patch of pea gravel with a number tag, comfy buttwipe and trained staff to clean up after you, and leave a space at nitinat for wind lovers who dont mind a little bit of self sufficiency and responsibility.
great response man :lol:
Starboard Steve

Post by Starboard Steve »

Agreed, Nitinat does not need amenities like flush toilets, garbage disposal, and individual numbered campsites like other Provincial and private camp sites. I like Nitinat just the way it is. I believe the “Upset Camper” does raise a valid issue though. If Nitinat doesn’t have the amenities, what are we paying $8.00 per night for? I think it was very unfortunate when the user group, represented by the Nitinat Windsurfing Society, was looked over for maintaining the site. From what I’ve seen, the site was in far better shape when it was maintained by volunteers.
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

I heard that the manager (Fred?) was going to put some more sites in in the inside of the big circle but that the expense of cleaning up after the October storm decimated the budget.

I always figured that the $8 was rent to permit me to park my butt on someone elses land for a day. I appreciate the facilities too though.

I saw the mess in the little hut. Filthy pigs ... no, that's not being fair to the pigs.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

If I can wade in here, I noticed a lot of very used toilet paper on and beside the path to the river. It would seem some of the campers who have spread into the forest here are too squeamish to use the toilets, or too lazy to walk that far, or even into the bush further with a shovel. I was frankly disgusted. Exposed raw sewage in a high use area is also a great way to start all kinds of nasty diseases. Dystenery wasn't just for the middle ages and slave labour camps. If you are one of those responsible and reading this, then CLEAN UP YOUR ACT!
jump'njibe'njim

Post by jump'njibe'njim »

I wonder if there is sufficient signage right at the entrance so people know exactly what they're getting into. And not tactful. I find jerks often love to claim ignorance letting them off the hook. One hard-line sign at the entrance might scare off the asshats that are unfortunately pervasive during high use times. It's just a percentage thing; out of a hundred folks you'll always get a couple of bone-heads.
I agree, it would be nice if wind-people were running the site.
FUN
CalgaryWindGirl

Post by CalgaryWindGirl »

I was there the long weekend for the first time from Caglry. The postings were obvious that Garbage had to be carried out. My only problem is that a bunch of people left their garbage (2 bags full) for me to take out when they left before me. I should have asked them to take it. The first dump I found was in Duncan... I didn't find one before that. My car stunk.
asscrack

garbage

Post by asscrack »

"Good on you! Calgary girl.Thanks from a local,for helping keep the site garbage free.With all the numbers that show up,[steadily increasing numbers},there will always be someone who is an ass.We will give them the benifit of the doubt,possibly they forgot it.Anyrate,thanks again for your effort,it's appreciated.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and Life is a beach
CalgaryWindGirl

Post by CalgaryWindGirl »

It's kinda common sense to not leave garbage laying around for animals (not just the bears). I would like to know if there was a bin closer that I could have stopped sooner.

I had a great time, and for only $8/night, what can you expect. I liked the comment someone made on the discussion about "Thieves". Introduce yourselves to visitors. I really appreciated that I was able to meet lots of people. It made my visit more enjoyable. I'll definitely be back.
voodmon
Website Donor
Website Donor

re garbage

Post by voodmon »

i was up the weekend before and concurr with more force 4 toilet paper and feces in the woods in the middle of open areas used for tents..garbage just thown over a log from the beach tin cans left in fires etc.. this is unconscionable..totally unacceptable..nitinat is a paradise that must be preserved at all costs...and the fee $8.00 a night..you will not find anywhere else on this planet..so ..people and you know who you are..come prepared to do your part..i myself took the garbage i found out with me too unfortunately i did'nt bring a shovel to bury someone elses sh:::t nuff said..guess it's time..we the people who have been using the site since its inception put some pressure on those that are abusing the privelige..and it is a privelige of useing the site regardless of the fee..smarten up people..or you're gonna get you're collective asses kicked very hard....capiche ??? yes i'm pissed off...we who have used this site for years have always worked very hard to keep it pristine so that we and you can use it...a few abusers will lose it for all of us....
Surfing outside of Platos cave, searching for Blue Skies.
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Super cool Calgary girl that you were not shy in introducing yourself and also going the extra mile in the garbage removal. Sadly there really isn't anywhere to dispose of large garbage bags of garbage unless you sneak it into a bin in the village of nitinaht, or youbou or duncan etc etc. Hope you had fun on the water and glad you will be back!
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
voodmon
Website Donor
Website Donor

some more ranting but needed

Post by voodmon »

Nitinat is just one example of people not respecting this beautiful blue green planet..our home..only home.. what i said about nitinat applies to the whole planet, where ever you go...just respect it...we are at a point in time, where, everything you do in this respect can and will make a difference...mankind has lived on this planet far longer than conventional science allows for...from my knowledge over 2 billion years..but...and here's the crux...has been wiped out 82 times over that period..the last time was the flood..you know.. noahs flood...the ark..full of genetic samples left atop mt ararat...we got lucky last time , another chance, to b ad we are/have screwing up again.. each and every one of you can and will make a difference....this planet..when it gets tired of our abuse, will, as it has done many times before ..shrug, and say begone humans, you have hurt me too much again...please think before you act, take responsibility for your actions, and perhaps.......
Surfing outside of Platos cave, searching for Blue Skies.
nitnaht Pat

Sneaking garbage??????

Post by nitnaht Pat »

kitesurferdale wrote:Super cool Calgary girl that you were not shy in introducing yourself and also going the extra mile in the garbage removal. Sadly there really isn't anywhere to dispose of large garbage bags of garbage unless you sneak it into a bin in the village of nitinaht, or youbou or duncan etc etc. Hope you had fun on the water and glad you will be back!
Kitesurferdale I don't think suggesting PPL sneak garbage into the bins in the village is the right advice to be giving! I resent your ill advice and hope that in the future you think about what you are saying or suggesting to PPL. Maybe the next place they may be sneaking it is in your backyard
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Fair nuff
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!