hip swinging thing

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
coastalsoul

hip swinging thing

Post by coastalsoul »

may i make a suggestion-
Borrow a waist harness from one of the kiters there (johanna?)
and try windsurfing in it-keep in mind it may take a while to adjust your style to it but in the end you may prefer the mobility and freedom of riding/windsurfing with your legs free'ed.

I know i did. in fact doesnt Rob use a waist harness?

I found that seat harnesses pull from too low down for effective body dragging and hip rotational movements (like swimming :wink: )

R
Sandy Beach

riding up

Post by Sandy Beach »

Thx for your suggestions, Rod.

I tried Rob's waist harness on the weekend and it rode up while windsurfing and was not comfortable.

I'm back to the drawing board and think I'll look into the short harness combo or trial Jo's next time I'm there.
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

it will ride up if you don't stand upright and arch your back, totally normal learning curve, keep using it, push it down, try to keep it there. seat harnesses limit your progress, mobility and I find are useful only for large sails 6m+
u will be surprised how quickly u will adjust to the new harness, maybe 4-5 sessions and it will cease to be uncomfortable, esp when not riding up 8)

plus i think it makes u duck gybe automatically :wink:
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

Try a waist harness that's your size. I switched while in the Baja last year and aside from it riding up I got comfortable with it on the first day. I tried my old seat harness a few weeks ago and it felt awful.
Why aren't YOU out there?
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

However, the clear advantage of the diaper harness is that you can poo-poo in it.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: riding up

Post by winddoctor »

Sandy Beach wrote:
I tried Rob's waist harness on the weekend and it rode up while windsurfing and was not comfortable.
Hit the gym, do lats-only for three months. Rob's harness will fit great after that.
Poultry in motion
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

the hourglass womanly shape is perfectly suited to holding a waist harness in place. what was the problem again? :lol:
Sandy Beach

not suited for a men's harness

Post by Sandy Beach »

hmmm, ribbing me, DWD and WD, cause that's what happened with Rob's (men's large) harness that was riding up too much.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions, I think :?
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

these will make you look like a rockstar. sorry SB no malicious intent :D :D

jellyfish
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by jellyfish »

Delivering the Dakine Wahine Seat to you tomorrow to try...... very in vogue flower print..... You can borrow it and see what you think. I wouldn't go back to a seat harness but it did take me a while to adjust to the waist harness initially sliding up. Now I wear it snug and haven't had any issues. Wearing one that is too big is guaranteed to disappoint you :shock: :shock:
Sandy Beach

harness for flying

Post by Sandy Beach »

jellyfish wrote:Delivering the Dakine Wahine Seat to you tomorrow to try......

Thx, that is very dakine of you, Jelly:)

The lack of grab handle on the back will allow me to soar with the resident eagles more easily with the big winds.

Will try it this weekend...and see ya Friday the 13th.

Glad that you are the only Jellyfish in the water and on the beach in Port Alberni.
Sandy Beach

dancing in the diaper harness

Post by Sandy Beach »

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1504360456033

Legs look free enough in this diaper to swing the hips :D
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Heey Sandy,

Ok so a couple of things for you to think about. There are Kite specific waist harness and they are built with the forces specific to kiting in mind....Ie: pull direction, greater tension...etc etc. I always had the problem of waist harness riding up due to my big belly larger than my chest...what I have found to work for me is the harness's design on the inside of the belt makes a difference as well. The current harness I use has these foam ribbings that seem to "grip" me and prevent the harness from riding up...and has made my conversion to waist harness complete. I totally agree with those that say seat harness limit your progression, since I have switched over..having my hips free has really allowed me to start doing more things especially in the wave riding. Definately try different harness as everyones body style is different.

Cheers

Dale
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
duckbill

swingin

Post by duckbill »

i find with a waist harness it's important to tighten it after a few runs. it's never tight enough the first time. I guess it depends on the style of buckle but with mine it always seems too loose after a few runs, try cinching it up to an uncomfortable level, on the water you won't notice it.
like a duck to water