Mexican Riviera

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
haidagwaiisurf

Mexican Riviera

Post by haidagwaiisurf »

Any suggestions on locations and shops on the Mexican Riviera? What sort of gear would be best to bring? Any advice appreciated.
haidagwaiisurf

cozumel

Post by haidagwaiisurf »

starting to think about cozumel instead. Once again, any advice appreciated.
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Cozumel....
Any dates on when you are going?
rookieRyan

Post by rookieRyan »

Im also goin ther in feb will be kiting isla blanca /play del carmen/and Talum all killer spots from what i hear and see.For kite size im bringin my 11 and 9 even tho im not sure the strengh since ive never travelled before.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

Tulum is so beautiful! Lots of crazy Italians kiting and there isn't too much wind so bring your bigger kite for sure! There is a great place to stay in these little huts in the sand dunes right on the beach.
curses - foiled again!
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

I will be teaching in Tulum with morph kiteboarding for the season.
We have a shop at the beach front of the Playa Azul Hotel.
Have not been there yet myself but my sources say generally ENE to ESE 10-12M with 15-25 days a month of wind. Better feb/march. They will get El Norte's just like La Ventana where you will kite as small as a 5m at Isla Blanca Lagoon north of cancun. I have been there and it is waist deep sandy bottom as far as the eye can see. Cozumel is where you will find the best waves but lots of current also so not for begginers.
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Depends of the month in Cozumel.... You may have to go to the lagoon near Isla Passion (or whatever its call) where it is flat/small swell, similar to Renfrew.
As for wave riding they are on the east and south, usually onshore wind if you kite east of the island.

You can also kite right in front of the *Sol Melia* all inclusive hotel during December because you get the odd N-NE-ENE. (doesnt reflect on the windfinder stats)

There is an advantage if you stay in that resort if you are single and between 20-35.... There is not many single women like there is in Playa del Carmen, but you get no competition whatsoever since it is mainly older couple (35+) and family that go to this resort.
Things can get very interesting and complete or start your trip on a good feet when the odd bunch of hot 2,3,4+ girl friends go to that resort for a small 2-4 days trip from Houston:) (happened regularly in April, I would guess the same in December?)

If you decide to go to Cozumel try to get down winder from Paco, Adrian & Cozumel Tom (A Canadian that own condo and kite over there). Fun to party with them as well.

Might do a little report on Cozumel from the best of my knowledge later if I have time. The only reason why I won’t go back there for my next trip down south is because I first want to try Playa Del Carmen/Tulum area as well, and compare which one I liked best afterwards. The second reason is because I am scare of salt water croc....

P.S When you going? Whats your weight? (for gear).
Cozumel April: 180lbs= 10m-14m 160lbs= 8m 10m maybe a 6m
Out of 14 days in mid April 2008 12 were windy. I was mainly on my 13.5m Cult but could have use a 12m easily or 11m most of the time. Twice I had to use the 10m Rebel. My friend was on the 10m most of the time, he had to borrow Paco 7m twice. (he 160lbs).
haidagwaiisurf

Cozumel

Post by haidagwaiisurf »

Wow, you guys are amazing. Thanks so much for the response. It's looking like a christmas trip with me mum, so only a few days on the water. Definitely bringing the bigger kites. Hoping a 10 and 14 will do the trick. Contacted a few shops down there and I guess it's up to the wind now. That downwinder looks like a good trip. Really hoping to get some action on the east side. Once again, thanks a lot. Keep putting stuff up and thanks to BWD for making this happen.