Free lessons, Feral Kiteboarding School (White Rock, BC)

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Bigfoot

Free lessons, Feral Kiteboarding School (White Rock, BC)

Post by Bigfoot »

Looks like someone is offering free lessons.
Attachments
Feral Kiteboarding School
Feral Kiteboarding School.JPG (729.81 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
AC

Kite lessons

Post by AC »

I don't think anything is free these days:)

Strongkiteboarding and Elevation kiteboarding
have it down to a science and charge next to nothing
to learn how to kite. 8)
Bigfoot

Deffinitely Free, I checked

Post by Bigfoot »

Yup it's free, strange huh! With overpriced lessons and the gouging going on these days it's nice to see someone doing good things for the community to help promote the sport!! :-)
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

it says introduction to kiteboarding, flying trainer kites.....maybe....I doubt very much they will provide free lessons to those showing up using on the water kites and water support.

Having said that, my windsurfing introductions at Willows were all about free lessons and using my beginner gear so perhaps....tho I wasn't running a business and they are....u don't really rack up the profits giving things away :roll: Only one way to truly find out, let us know how it went :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
AC

:)

Post by AC »

Over priced is an under statement, In fact i think lessons are way under
priced considering the energy and all of the other variables like Insurance, New Gear, Time, Fuel, that make kite boarding a challenge to teach.

But saying all of that , the schools at on the Island like Strongkiteboarding and Elevation give the best quality lessons around. and Student always get there moneys worth .

I have hear nothing but good reviews from anyone who has taken
Lessons here.
OtLunch

Post by OtLunch »

I think that what the school is doing is just getting people flying the trainer kite and basically getting them near the gear trying to build some stoke. Not a bad idea.

I made the mistake of learning from friends at first. I was lucky to not have hurt myself or anyone else.
The water assisted lessons would have been a bargain compared the months of walking back up the beach after a very short down wind ride. I now watch lessons at Nitinaht and see the value! Students that already have trainer kite skills will get to where I was after 2 months in only a few hours.
I eventually paid for lessons to ensure that I had been taught properly and important safety lessons had not been skipped or taught incorrectly.

A few hundred dollars for a few days worth of lessons is a lot to spend on lessons but worth every penny in the end. I have since had two friends learn at Nitinaht with the schools there and they are progressing well.
Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

Forgive me for sounding blunt in the beginning, but for people wanting some free start up lessons, be it in the water or on the land. I think it is respectable someone is taking the initiative and offering such a service. Not everyone can start out at Nitnat or Squamish at $500 for the weekend and would maybe like to master their confidence/skills of just getting to know the kite scene before realizing this sport is/isn't for them. People like "Paul" (bosuns locker days) who watched over you like a father in this industry are sadly missed these days. Thank you all for your input on this topic I truly respect everyones opinion and believe everyone has something to give!! Positives and negatives, that is how we improve!!!!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I agree. Especially for the younger crowd, $500 is a lot to lay out for a sport you might hate. A day at Mount Washington with lift, lessons and rental gear is less than a third of that cost by comparison (surfing is about the same too - and let's face it, anyone in the business is directly competing with snowboarding/skiing, mountain biking and surfing). I've tried to convince a lot of my friends to get into either Kiting or Windsurfing, and though many are keen on the idea, they just aren't able to shell out that kind of cash to try something new. After after getting myself into these sports blind, I have to admit there is a lot more to them, and are arguably more difficult, than the cheaper comparables. So kudos to giving people a free teaser, I think it is a great idea, much like Kus' free windsurfing sessions were. If more people get a feel for it in a low risk low cost situation and then decide they actually like it, chances are you will reap more benefits down the line.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
feral

Post by feral »

I can't believe how much discussion this day has created! It's nice to hear differing opinions so let me explain now what my intentions are for this day.

I have been kiting from the beginning and have seen the sport progress to what it is today. I have been teaching the sport now for over 6 years. I moved my school over here last year from the UK. Through the years, I have witnessed a number of accidents, sometimes fatal. Most of which have come from friends teaching each other or learning off of youtube videos. With websites selling kit to anyone, the situation isn't getting any better. There has been a lot of interest generated around this sport on the lower mainland, and not a lot of information known about it. May 7th Introduction to Kiteboarding is a day to allow people to try the sport without thinking they have to spend lots of money on lessons and kit. It's also to show how much fun this sport can be if it's done the right way and how easy it is to get into. My goal is to keep this sport safe and create a unified kiteboarding community.

I hope to meet you out on the water in the future. If anyone has any questions about this day or anything on kiteboarding, feel free to call or email me. All details are on my website www.wearferal.com.
Attachments
FKS.JPG
FKS.JPG (22.74 KiB) Viewed 2525 times
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I like what you are doing, but I have to ask about the name... When I hear the word Feral... watersports don't come to mind!
feral

Post by feral »

Feral Kiteboarding school is sponsored by Feral clothing brand. Its a company bassed in the southcoast of England, this word is used by the locals to adress the surfers because of their undomesticated and untamed lifestyles. --Feral. Thats why Feral sponsors the Kiteboarding school, as its quite a wild sport! Dont you think?
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I suppose that makes sense now that you explain it that way.
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

I like the word feral especially as it applies to surfers, windsurfers and cougars.
As in the following urban definition: A Feral Cougar is a particularly aggressive and untamed strain of single women generally over the age of 35 who frequent clubs, supermarkets, and local events in order to score with a much younger man. Feral Cougars rarely sleep in the same place from night-to-night and often resort to scratching and clawing for a free meal if necessary. Even your every-day, garden variety Cougar can quickly come to resemble a Feral Cougar after a few too many Margarita’s or White Zinfandel’s, and often can resemble a Feral Cougar in looks, appetite, and appearance the day after a successful night of Cougaring. Feral Cougars are extremely adaptable, particularly cunning, and can be found in all extremes of latitude, longitude, wealth, and health.
JL

Post by JL »

They can be spotted in beach areas offering to share grub with innocent young cubs ... I'm locking my doors :shock:
Thermals are good.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

JL wrote: I'm locking my doors :shock:
I don't think you have ANYTHING to worry about, Jimmy, your ready to retire aren't you? :wink:

To get back to the topic, I think this is a great way for schools to hook potential clients. The Nitinat teachers have offered similar things in the past; free safety demonstrations for windsurfers to learn how to launch and catch kites, and I've flown trainers there at no cost a couple of times.

I've had 4 multi-hour lessons so far, and the cost is significant (and I'm still not up and riding, largely I think due to too much or too little wind every time. Nitinat may be the ticket there.....).