Double board a quiver bag suitable for airline transport

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Bigtrib
Website Donor
Website Donor

Double board a quiver bag suitable for airline transport

Post by Bigtrib »

Hey islanders,

Iv been doing a fair bit a research on board bags. Looking at PatLove, Naish, Dakine... to get my two 255cm boards, and 3 sail quiver along with booms ect. to the Dominican. Has anyone used any similar bags or have an idea as to cost and airline? Also if anyone has one there looking to sell or any other useful info.

Thanks for the read,
Dane
Just stoked...
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Double board a quiver bag suitable for airline transport

Post by KUS »

2nd Wind in the Gorge usually has some relatively cheap. I have an old sail quiver bag you can use.

Loading all that will exceed the generally allowed 50lb limit so you will still need two or more bags with most airlines. A quiver bag, a double bag with one board and booms masts and one sail and another board bag cost me $100 one way with Westjet......sometimes one trip is free and they charge the other.
You can load two boards into one bag if you remove the fins and may just slide under the $50lb cuz the double bag weighs close to 10lb or use a SUP bag, weighs less and sometimes they don't charge for SUP's for some reason. Or if you load that way you may be able to claim "one windsurfer" and check two bags for the price of one because Westjet charges per full setup.
Some max lengths are 9' or 9'3", differs between airlines and also their planes, for a Dash8 tho it says 9' but actually only allows 6' or 7' depending on who you talk to :roll:

lotsa related threads on this, just search for air canada or westjet in the forum
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Not sure which airline you are flying with but my experience is if they don't get you with the weight issue they will get you for length. No, I'm not being rude lol. We had our board bag that carries our twin tip kite boards cost us more even though it was under 50 pounds it exceeded the 150 cm length issue. Investigate carefully. Some airlines will let you weigh the bags and redistribute your gear before checking your bags. Had a bad experience with dog crates, but that's another story. Above all have fun!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Hockey gear flies free with Westjet, even the massive 5-6' gear bags and regardless of weight....so for kiteboards (or pets :wink: ) that's another option apart from golf bags...just wrap them in hockey jerseys and chuck a stick inside :lol:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

i can even donate some old gloves for that authentic hockey bag smell. :lol:
Bigtrib, you should price out what rentals will cost you vs bringing your own. its not such a bad thing to support the local business vs handing over your money to airlines that are set up to burn you when you show up with huge bags.
Bigtrib
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Bigtrib »

Might have to go the hockey bag road! The hockey glove idea sounds promising Dave, I'll just grab a few from the pile outside your door; May be a bit small though.
Im not sure how its going to work as i wont be traveling with the gear :s My parents would be sending it out to me once i have a look at what kinda gear club med has. I asked a westjet baggage guy lastnight and he said 50Ibl. max and 6-12ft is $75 I saw a dakine single board bag being loaded... they were pretty good with it. i think ill go the few bag road(board&booms ect bag,board bag,quiver bag) Anyone seen clubmed sailing gear? :D
Just stoked...
SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy

Post by SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy »

i have a great big dakine bag that would fit the bill. it's actually with me now in Kingston ontario and i'm trying to sell it....it'd fit a board and sails, not sure about two boards though, but it's big. was 300 bucks new. would like to get 100 bucks for it. let me know if you want me to bring it back. i'd have to check it as a bag rolled up, which would cost me 20 bucks, so i'd need a deposit.

Kevin
Kevin

If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy. Be content with what you have take joy in the way things are. When you realize you have all you need, the World belongs to you.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I'm sure if they don't buy it someone out here will. People are always looking for those.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy

Post by SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy »

ya maybe worth paying 20 bucks to bring back no matter what, or ebaying...i think ebaying it, pre-packing it up and then having someone send it off from here when it sells.
Kevin

If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy. Be content with what you have take joy in the way things are. When you realize you have all you need, the World belongs to you.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

My bet is you'll sell it for way less on Ebay, at least that has been my experience.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Bigtrib
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Bigtrib »

It looks like the gear that is here at club med punta cana will do the job just fine. Was even giving a 113L board today.thanks anyway guys, happy sailing!

Dane :D
Just stoked...