Nitinat Lessons

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
SmallWaveSteve

Nitinat Lessons

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

Hey all, planning on doing some lessons in the next little bit at Nitinat (100% beginner).
I've been looking at my options (elevation and strong both look/sound great)
I also stumbled across Gray Robinson, his lessons are quite a bit cheaper (read half the price) but they're not boat assisted as far as I can tell, so more limited.
Does anyone know about his lessons at all? Can't find much info (please don't hesitate to message me if you don't want to post in the open forum)
Do you think it would be more beneficial to have twice the amount of time (1 on 1 instruction) without boats, or half as much time but boat assisted?
Thanks!

While I'm making a new thread, may as well as since I live in North Saanich, does anyone ever kite along Lochside near Tulista park in Sidney? I don't recall ever seeing one there, but it seems like it gets steady ish winds, nice wide beach, more sheltered from the waves than Islandview, no crab pots...
AC

Kitelessons at the lake

Post by AC »

Marty D from Strong is Great with a water craft and private lessons .
You get at least 5 hours of instruction each day Most being on the water
with water craft assist helping you with what you need to tune,
Body position, Great Kite Time, and you never have to walk on the beach.
All of the safety gear is supplied,and all new 2011 ocean rodeo gear.
The Cost of $300 a day is about as cheep as you can get a top quality lesson .After two full days you should be riding bit,
self sufficient, and able to practice comfortably and safe.
I think just a seedoo rental is about 100$ an hour alone.
Vik

Post by Vik »

My GF has just been through the lesson process with Elevation and she would never take a lesson without a boat/jet ski support. You need someone right there to tell you what to do or your going to spend a lot more time flailing around and if something goes really wrong you have no help on the water.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
JL

Post by JL »

The alternative is a couple of years groveling locally while destroying used gear & your self confidence :? & Stevo911_ Island View is the local spot NOT the rocky shore along the road under the flight path along lochside :roll: http://www.bigwavedave.ca/wiki/index.php/Island_View
Thermals are good.
BK

Post by BK »

You get what you pay for...
Ned

Post by Ned »

Bille is right...

Many have said this but I will repeat it as briefly as I can. The cost of lessons at $300/day for 2-3 days is probably the price of the used kites and gear you'll essentially destroy learning on your own.

Then you also have to consider it may take you 10, 15, even 20+ 'days' of trying on your own to get to the point of self sufficiency. You can easily go out, rig up, try to do some riding, have to self rescue, untangle your gear, and pack up. That's an afternoon/day used up, potentially for ZERO time on the water actually learning.

OR you can take lessons, be up and going THIS season (instead of just getting started this summer, and then having to wait the long winter until next year to really get into it), allow yourself to buy newer/better gear with confidence you won't totally trash it, and be enjoying the sport without massive headaches and huge amounts of time invested to get going.

My bottom line - lessons appear expensive, but the ROI on them is ridiculously high. All my friends who didn't take lessons (or couldn't because they learned so long ago) unanimously agree they would have now knowing what is involved going the solo route.

That was supposed to be brief but totally failed!

Good luck!

PS - Strong Kiteboarding and Elevation Kiteboarding at Nitinaht are both excellent.
benito

Post by benito »

Take lessons wt jet ski,you will learn faster ,easier. Kayak is ok. walking is too short.
benito

Post by benito »

Take lessons wt jet ski,you will learn faster ,easier. Kayak is ok. walking is too short.
lkg

Post by lkg »

JL wrote:Island View is the local spot NOT the rocky shore along the road under the flight path along lochside :roll: http://www.bigwavedave.ca/wiki/index.php/Island_View
not to mention the nearby power lines & high traffic zone!! All sorts of fun hazards at Tulista...

I also agree with above posters, both Elevation and Strong kiteboarding have excellent reputations.

lkg
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

There aren't any powerlines there (they drop underground where the clearing along the beach starts) At least give me that much credit :p

Ended up booking with Elevation this evening (I had been talking to them beforehand, had just hoped saving some coin was going to be a less bad idea :p)

For the Vic area (Island View mostly I suspect) what would be a good size all arounder kite/board to get me going/get me out on the water the most. I'm fine with sitting out if the wind is too strong. (I'm 180 lbs)
Thanks all!
JL

Post by JL »

Great you took a lesson ... I would recommend a 10M RISE or 8M RAZOR from O.R. ... I'm not qualified to rate other brands as I have never tried them. You will be looking for gear that works in ~ 12-20 knots ... Avoid 'C' kites as they have a VERY limited range compared to bridled kites . 8) http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=7
Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

stevo911_ wrote:There aren't any powerlines there (they drop underground where the clearing along the beach starts) At least give me that much credit :p
I think she was talking about IV in reference to JL's comment and they are very much a factor there :!:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Ned

Post by Ned »

JL wrote:Great you took a lesson ... I would recommend a 10M RISE or 8M RAZOR from O.R. ...
Basically agree with this. I'd say at your size any 10m SLE kite that is 2010 or newer would be fine. I haven't flown TOO many other brands, but from my experience all recent kites are pretty decent. I personally have Ocean Rodeo kites as well and have always been happy with them.
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

Did lessons with Elevation Monday/Tuesday! I'm hooked now, just gotta work on riding switch (it feels so wrong), I'm officially in the market for gear now if anyone hears of anything!
jotoole

Post by jotoole »

I'm glad you took a lesson with a professional. I've been kiting since 01' and back then there were only instructors screaming at you while running down the beach after you. I spent more time walking back with the instructor than learning.

As for gear goes, check out North Shore Ski and Board in North Vancouver. The have really good deals on 2011 Cabrinha kites such as the switchblade and others. Also, Airrush, and I think some Ocean Rodeo. Ask for Vince or Bret.
I'd look at the Cabrinha switchblade before Ocean Rodeo rise. It is a Better kite with better low end power and better depower. Just my opinion.

Good luck

Jim