Kiteboarding in the Mediterranean

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Jeff 2 the B

Kiteboarding in the Mediterranean

Post by Jeff 2 the B »

Hello.

Newbie Jeff B here, 4 days of riding and almost staying upwind.

Heading over to the med. for the next couple of months. Will be sailing and visiting Sicily, Tunisia, Lybia, Sardinia, and Corsica, as well as some of the French coastline.
If you've been before let a brother know the goods, there seems to be a lot on Sardinia and Corsica already, like the Porto Pollo (smells like chicken?) and of course nice and marsielle seem to have some wind too. But I also found out Tunisia hasa kiteboarding hotel?! WTF? Suprises like this are sure to bring a smile to my face.

I am also in need of a harness, Steele - you got that one still??? I need a harness by saturday morning or it'll be getting one from some eurotrash.

Happy kiting people, thanks if you have hints/tips...bye!
Last edited by Jeff 2 the B on Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff 2 the B

Post by Jeff 2 the B »

Got a nice waist harness now...I only need sandal bindings....anyone? Bueller? .......Bueller?.....anyone?
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

dont tell me some dude ripped you off with some junk harness?!
I saw a nice set of plate footstraps at bosuns the last time i was in. I thought sandal bindings were sooo like 2002 am i wrong here? you gotta be able to do the board off tricks man.
dood

Post by dood »

check out this link www.kitebeaches.com loadsa info
JB

Post by JB »

Thanks dood, kitebeaches is okay but pretty limited in its knowledge base, I got more hits from tour companies that led to names and places. I found kiteforum to be even better to get in with locals and beach site names though.

Oh DD - thanks for the harness sucker, if it craps out in a few sessions I'm comin for your first-born. :twisted:
Cant wait to leave the wetsuit behind......
wishiwasgoingwithyou

Post by wishiwasgoingwithyou »

I visited a buddy in london last year and we did some travelling, booked a trip to egypt through www.planetkitesurf.com/destinations.htm who has some info on med. we then booked a trip ourselves to tarifa (spain) which was mobbed with kiters, the local standard was increadible(I used to think I was an ok kiter but now I keep my mouth shut), a little way away in marbella (can't remember spelling) rocked, big wide bays and only a handful of kiters and lots of local hotties, we then went to portugal (algarve) to a place called peniche (more hotties) which part of the bay was good for kiting and for surfing in big waves (got mauled) but a beautiful place. we then went to a place called(nearest airport faro) lagos and there is a big lagoon nearby called river alvor which was amazing there is info from a local kite/windsurf shop http://www.windsurfpoint.com

Basically if you follow a map of SW portugal to southern spain near tarifa you have an abundance of choices of big sandy bays and constant wind for kiting and a plethora of hotties, check out windguru archives for past two years back and you will get an idea of wind conditions at the time of year you are going.

we used this website to book cheap flights out of london www.easyvalue.com it searches all the other airlines websites for cheapest flights. beware though many airlines have caught on to kitesurf gear, when travelling through europe we prebooked our gear as "surfboards" for a flat rate of £40 return otherwise some airlines charge £4/kg! for kiteurf gear
(all of these places are mobbed with Brits (many of whom don't seem to bathe, in particular the ones with the tatoos all over their pastey white skin) so english is rarely a problem)
have fun the place rocks