CB weather station post help

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

CB weather station post help

Post by KUS »

Hi All- noticed today that our generous WX station host has a very rapidly aging fence and the last two posts, the anemometer and station post included, is rotten throughout. It has a buried support post but both appeared to be moving a fair bit today during the higher gusts. I doubt it will survive the winter storm season and when it fails will likely break the anemometer too.

Perhaps with local help a replacement can be found and installed after consultation with our kind webcam and station host? I would be willing to contribute $$ toward matching cedar fencing as well as a treated 4x4 or better 6x6 post and concrete. Being from Vic it would be difficult to schedule a proper install :? on a non-windy and perhaps sunnier day :idea: 8) Also perhaps a guy wire to support the post/metal pipe from the south might bridge the gap in the meantime.

Any takers :?: I am sure BWD has some input for any helpers and how to deal with the technologiy and contacting our kind host.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
eastside

Post by eastside »

I'll help but, unless you want the station to fall over even faster, will not be the construction manager.
GWIND

Fence

Post by GWIND »

Hey kuster- I have all the tools and can help out. I should be there
In the next day or so, wiil check it out and do a mat list. Restore may
be a good source for some material. GW

ps. Paul knows the lady who lives there, we can talk with her.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Fence

Post by KUS »

GWIND wrote:Paul knows the lady who lives there, we can talk with her.
I'm sure he does, she's super but we don't want to inconvenience her, thought maybe we could offer to replace the two posts and any fence parts as required. Good idea re: Restore. I also have a 5' chunk of 1/4 inch angle iron we could concrete in for extra strength, also have a 25' chunk of stainless rigging cable
eastside wrote:I'll help but, unless you want the station to fall over even faster, will not be the construction manager.
Perhaps Ray can be the supervisor, Eastman, he knows his stuff :twisted:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Thank you Kus for organizing this...that's great! The fence posts were replaced about 5yrs ago, but the pole does move a lot and it doesn't surprise me that it needs doing again. Thank you for noticing it. It would be bad if it crashed down and injured someone or caused property damage (landed on a car).

I'll pm you Betty's phone number. Like you said, she is great but I'm sure she would appreciate some notice before people showed up. She will likely say just visit any time.

The only advice is just have two people hold the pole when you lower it since it's wobbly and long and if it falls the anemometer will break. Also, if you look UP there is a metal arm that is approx aligned with the fence (I think it's aligned with the fence). When you put the poll back up the arm needs to point close to the same direction that it was pointing, otherwise the wind directions will be off. Here's a pic, the arm I'm talking about is the bent piece near the top:
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

If anyone is heading out to CB to work on the fence this week PM me if you need assistance/direction. Might have some time during the middle of the week!
Why aren't YOU out there?