FWD Loop motivation

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

FWD Loop motivation

Post by winddoctor »

http://boards.mpora.com/news/learning-to-forward.html

For those of you still on the fence as to whether to learn or not, watch this video. Do it this summer! You can nail it!
Poultry in motion
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

great video, it is always motivating to see people trying these things, and how stoked that guy was afterwards!
GWIND

Loop

Post by GWIND »

You mean there is hope for me yet !
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Let's not get out of hand Gene...! :lol: :lol: :roll:
Don't forget to bring a towel!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

maybe we need this new motivation thread, where you might post up your name as a commitment to chuck a loop this summer. this would be a chance for a fresh start for those that said they would do one in last year's thread but never followed through (or sheeted in so to speak) :lol: :lol:
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I'm in again :D ...and again.... :roll: but the most I ever manage is kissing the gear hard and slamming my ageing body :oops: it really is a stupid and painful move if you don't make it around :?
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
GWIND

Thanks downwind

Post by GWIND »

OK you young punk ass youngsters, that's you Kuster and
Moo ( just barely out of diapers ) now I'm reved up.
I'm gona learn loopin real soon and beat your skinny butts
to the finish line. Ha. The glove is down. Ha

Windsurfish your out.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Not wanting to explode my shoulder has kept me from completing what by all accounts appears to be a relatively simple move aside from committing to it... but I really need to just go for it, and if my shoulder falls apart then I know for sure and won't again, and if it doesn't, well then I looped. Just need some wind...
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Thanks downwind

Post by KUS »

GWIND wrote:OK you young punk ass youngsters, that's you Kuster ....The glove is down. Ha
yeah, well after a week of garden chores including 2 days of aerial tree pruning, hanging from branches at great heights like some circus monkey wielding a chain saw, I feel about a ripe 85....... ready for my collostomy bag to explode on impact and a few vertebrae to pulverize if I land on my back like a stunned beetle....but yeah, you're on :twisted: might even try one again today if freaking Kook could only muster a 24 knot sustained gust :evil: back to crap weather :!:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
GWIND

Oww

Post by GWIND »

I forgot about the bad wing Tony. Don't push it.
Injuries are the down side of sport. Freaks me out.
GW
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

The wing is a big bummer for me, windsurfing puts my arm "up" and in a vulnerable position, so even though I am doing far riskier moves week in and week out on my bike, that has my arm "down" and my shoulder locked in. Something about crashing and having you shoulder out always freaks me out, more than doing something that is actually scary. Still, I really wanna.
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

I was watching this yesterday and was going to post it. Faris looks like a pro! All I need is Pritchard following me around. :?
Give'R
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

KUS wrote:I'm in again :D ...and again.... :roll: but the most I ever manage is kissing the gear hard and slamming my ageing body :oops: it really is a stupid and painful move if you don't make it around :?
It doesn't have to be this way at all. The last time we saw you going for them, Kus, you were ragdolling yourself into savage handstand catapults. THat's as bad as it gets, really, but those aren't really loops since you were taking off upwind and getting whipped out of the straps and into the rig (not trying to be critical, just trying to explain why your experience sucked so bad). I've seen you jumping with perfect positioning to loop in the last number of years (nose pointed down and off the wind, back foot near butt, body upright, rig ready to be sheeted in. It's this position you need to loop from to initiate correctly. Even if you half commit, you'll still carry the gear around to a mild spanking on your ass or back. Way safer and more gentle than the backloop crashes you subject yourself to hundreds of times a season! You're a great jumper and the loop will be shamefully easy for you if you just do the simple bits below.

The best loop attempts keep your body under the gear safely and an ass slap or back slap is the worst of it normally. A vulcan crash or even a jibe douching is often worse.

Key moves to crack the forward:

1. Jump and scissor the board off the wind with the front arm straight and angling to windward. Keep sail sheeted slightly OUT at this point.

2. One bajilli-second later, reef on the back hand (only the back hand), pull the tail of the board to your butt, scrunch your body up small, and scrunch feet against the sides and top of the straps to stay in (crucial)

3 Hang on and enjoy the rotation, then the mild spanking of congratulations. You did it! Your first loop!

Over- rotation is not a realistic worry unless you are charging a six foot wave at 30 knots and sheeting in as your nose clears the wave.

Your straps need to be big enough to get your feet pretty deep. As deep as you are comfy with. You don't need shedloads of power in the sail. If you are powered up just enough to jump, perfect. As you improve, you'll love what being slightly OP'd will do for the speed of rotations! :twisted:
Last edited by winddoctor on Tue May 29, 2012 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poultry in motion
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

It looks so tempting.

A transcript of my medical assessment consult,

"Review of imaging shows some early degenerative change of the right AC joint. As well, there is appears to be a small osteophyte at the footprint of the rotator cuff with some cystic changes in the region. There is some sclerosis over the lateral aspect of the acromion as well. Review of the ultrasound report confirms a full thickness tear of the supraspinatus measuring 1 cm by 1.9 cm." (The tear is permanent.)

probably means that the bottom of my board will forever be pointed towards the water.

Can't wait to see all you guys looping overhead this summer though. And KC777 and FOLO too!
I wish my TOW was longer!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

bummer MTM! take it easy on that thing.

that downwind ramp tip is key, took me most of a decade to sort that out. all that body position stuff is easy to practice jumping into a pool.