what is the sailing scene like in Campbell River

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

what is the sailing scene like in Campbell River

Post by Joostio »

Might be moving farther north soon and I was wondering what the sailing scene is like up that way. I'm guessing there should be some good spots for the S.E. winds in the winter. anyon else sail up there? thanks.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Not sure about the scene but if you cross the strait into Desolation sound and you'll find sweet nitinat-like thermals all summer long with warm water in many of the inlets only a short boat ride away!

Why moving?
Don't forget to bring a towel!
redbaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by redbaron »

A windsurf/boat trip around Desolation Sound would be an amazing adventure! lots to expore!
I spent a bit of time all around quadra island boating, and winds picks up strong and gale every once in awhile. The currents get really nasty up there. Not sure if anybody windsurfs out of CR.
You'll find people camping out at Nimpkish lake in the summer, or try Saratoga beach or even salmon point in a NW maybe. SE wind is prob best around comox.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

ive heard miracle beach is good on a SE, you can also sail right in town. Buttle Lk gets afternoon breezes on sunny days. try a forum search, there is lots of info. 8)
duckbill

Post by duckbill »

I spent a week in Campbell river this past winter and it blew 20-30 every day, SE. Didn't have gear with me but someone told me near the ferry is a good spot...
like a duck to water
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

there is a seaside park at the end of spit road (north from the canadian tire) that looks like a fantastic access to the water.
3G

Post by 3G »

Here's a few other locations near Campbell River.

Buttle Lake - launch from Karnst Creek for best winds.
Roberts Lake - small lake towards Sayward. Great soup and muffins.
McCrate Lake (Bear Lake Road) - larger lake just north of Roberts Lake. Bit tricky to drive to, approx. 1km to lauch ramp off main highway. Our favourite location.

We use noodle forecast for conditions at Karnst Creek.
Marine Forecast at (Fanny Island) Johnstone Strait for conditions at McCrate Lake.

Cheers.
CTK

Post by CTK »

Was up at Strathcona a couple weeks ago and buttle lake was getting a very steady 18-20 knots.