Size suggestions for Flysurfer Speed 3

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
steve-0

Size suggestions for Flysurfer Speed 3

Post by steve-0 »

So this year I'm in the market for a Speed 3 as a ultra light wind kite. Here on Saltspring we get lots of 6-9 knot days and the 14m just wont do.
I'm 70 kilos suited mostly on a 140x42
Looking at the 21m delux and 19m delux.
I hear the 21m is hard on the back with all the pull. Turning speed at say 7-8 knots? I like to ride ganges harbour and it requires quite a few tacks to get out past narrow quarters with parked boats and other obsticals.

If someone flys these I'd like to get some feedback before I pull the trigger. If you've got one for sale.........
KayakDoc

Post by KayakDoc »

Hey Steve-O, Have you considered a race board and a race kite. Steep learning curve, but the boys are racing in 6-9 knots. Once the London Olympics are over kite race technology is going to explode (for the 2016 Brazil Olympics). The kite and board designers are really pushing light wind barriers out of the way.
steve-0

Post by steve-0 »

I'm more freestyle / wakestyle inclined. If I cant jump and spin then I'll get bored. Flysurfers have that incredible hang time I'm looking for to learn more airstyle. Thanks for the suggestion.
KayakDoc

Post by KayakDoc »

Hang time in 6-9 knots! Teabag, are you getting hang time in 6-9 knots? Any locals getting serious boost in super light winds? Very curious.
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

My 15m Speed3 get me going in 13kts with the door but it is boring as .... I guess that the 19m would get me going in 11kts, and 21m in 10kts.

I weight 200 lbs, add 1 kts to each ~10-15 lbs less.

How much do you weight in pounds? (on my I phone right now I dont feel to do the conversion, plus I am on the malahat and its dark and curvey so the least I writte right now is better for other drivers and myself).

Have tried the 21m both at Nitinaht and Renfrew (on land). It convinced me enough that ill never buy one. (maybe if I were to practice tricks then for sure, but I am not patient enough yet).

I have seen Chris (foilboy on bwd) jumping on his 19m at cook st and was quite impressed by the height he achived. Would not mind trying the 19m and compare with 21m. The thing is I like to ride them overpower, and if I were to win a 19m or 21m I would choose the 19m, the little faster turning speed will make it jump higher than the 21m.

But if you are looking for minimum wind well... And your 6-9 kts, is it taken from handheld windometer? Not sure if it can fly in 6kts... Any kite for that matter. How is the launching area? And if you crash the kite in water, what is downwind of you? It takes a little while to get used to it. Big investment and we not sure if it will make you going on these wind... If it does and gives you 20+ session a year its worth, but what if its still too light :(

The main reason why I would buy higher than 15m would be for Tofino, but I dont go to Tofino enough for that.

Holy crap, almost had an head on in the curve. Nah kidding about the driving. Going back to bed. Ttyl, Ian
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

I dont see "boosting" in 6-9 kts thats for sure. Maybe if you hit a ramp (Tofino) you will fall down slower, thats about it. They do jump earlier than inflatable though, but on the 21m it would take me a while to get use to it.

Lots of thinking ahead (ie I see this little chopy ramp 14 meters ahead of me, Ill crank the bar to the left (because jumping on your right tac is just stupid) and in 4 secondes the kite will be above my head ready for pop and a foot high jump!)

6-9 kts if it get you go it will be more of a park and ride kite.
steve-0

Post by steve-0 »

Well I am only 150 pound with a wetsuit and yes 6 knots is not realistic to jump in. I'd probably be riding 8-12 more realisticly. I was out today with a 14 rebel in 9 knots barely powered, still upwind, and 2 foot jumps, backrolls etc.
After reading everything I could online and watching as many videos on the 21m I'm not any closer to making a solid decision on size but I did read that the low end on the 21 is not so different than that of the 19. Now if I go for the 21 I'm worried that the top end will be too narrow.
Looks like I'll settle for a used kite with a good price and leave the size to roulette.
Its just so painful to watch a steady 8-9 knot wind almost daily and not be able to ride it powered. I'm sure I'll be out 30-50 more times per year with one of these though.
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

Hey Stevo
You will be pretty hard pressed to be airing on any kite in less than 10kn.
I do remember the German guy at windfest a couple years ago doing some small handle passes in about a 10kn outflow on a 15m flysurfer, but any height he got was from a load an pop ollie, not from the kite being sent.
I would go with kayak doc on this one. If you want to ride in sub 10kn winds a raceboard or surfboard is going to be your best bet. Great training for 2016 also! Save the jumping for the higher wind days. I know I would love to ride Lit up on an 8m every day, but I know that wont happen so I spend a lot of time in the surfboard on the lighter days.
Vik

Post by Vik »

MartyD wrote: If you want to ride in sub 10kn winds a raceboard or surfboard is going to be your best bet.
Get a LW specific surfboard without a ton of rocker or you may not get as much benefit from a bigger board.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
gabe

21m Flysurfer speed3 or not?

Post by gabe »

Big investment! But they say it is a session saver.
You should chek out and maybe even ask the FS gurus on Foilzone.com,
or powerkiteforum.
Personally if I had the money I would go for it!
/I have the 12 and 15m, loving them./
cheers
Gabe
Enjoying both wind and kitesurfing.
KayakDoc

Post by KayakDoc »

The new America’s Cup boats, racing in 12 kilometers of wind are achieving close to 40 kilometer/hour speeds. These new boats are crazy. http://youtu.be/Jvk4D-GlUgE
Kite surf racing is going to attract the same balls out approach to new technology as this new America's Cup format. With people like Sir Richard Branson (net worth 4.2 billion) as one of the Olympic Kite Surf Racing ambassadors this is going to get very weird...and when the going gets weird the weird turn pro. I too like to jump and spin, but I love the big wave sessions on the North Shore of Maui even more, yet I suspect this kite racing thing is going to get heart pumping, over the top nuts. Time to get started...and if things get too crazy, remember...just “cut the jib”.