Windsurfing Sidney

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
JK

Windsurfing Sidney

Post by JK »

Recently moved to Sidney. Are there any concerns with windsurfing the area along Lochside Drive, south of the U.S. ferry service in Sidney. Parking and rigging seems good. I know of Island View and Willows for S. & S.E. winds as well. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Joostio »

I would just drive upto Island view, always better to sail with others and ona good SE there will always be others out there. Sorry, no comment on the area you are asking about, don't know anything about it.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

you might be able to sail some flat water off James island road, for a change from the IV shore pound. Ive been meaning to check it out. The closer you go into the bay the flatter its going to get. 8)
KayakDoc

Post by KayakDoc »

Hey JK,
Yeaman and I launched just south of the US ferry terminal two summers ago for a downwinder to IV. We were kiting though, not windsurfing. The wind at shore made for really tricky launching...gusty, then nothing, then gusty. The wind was much better once off shore. The rip off of James Island was a little wicked, but nothing unmanageable. If you could launch on a super low tide, out as far as possible the wind should be okay. As far as kites launching there I am reluctant to go back. Crappy wind, not a great launch area, too close to Lochside pedestrian and auto traffic makes IV a ton more desirable.
windsurf247

sidney

Post by windsurf247 »

Hey JK. I sailed off the end of Amity Rd a few times. There's a path to the beach and parking/rigging area up top. Decent wind and chop. I've heard the beach near the ferry is pretty gusty. I seem to remember trying it once too with limited success :lol:
PAt Bay is good too for the westerlies.
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Windsurfing Sidney

Post by Bobson »

I've sailed there a few times. No real issues. There is one large rock that shows at low tide about 50 meters west of the boat ramp and 30-40 off shore, that is the only one I know of. Works well on E,SE,NE best of all but if you're looking for flattish water and have big gear it works okay too. I found the closer to the boat ramp that I launched the better wind if it wasn't E,SE,NE as the land was flatter with less obstacles.

It's a great place to rip over to Sidney Spit and back on a SE, super flat water North of James Island and on the lee side of the spit itself.
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
JL

Post by JL »

I've encountered that rock !!! I slammed a centerboard into a one-design hull about 30 years ago :? Always good to have a look around @ low tide
Thermals are good.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

according to my kid's textbook, long necked herbivores such as Apatosaurus would swallow rocks to aid digestion. so that one could be gone by now. :D
JL

Post by JL »

Nice twisted Dinosaur reference :P
Thermals are good.
monkeymanmike

Windsurfing in Sidney

Post by monkeymanmike »

If you are looking for year round sailing, you'll need big gear. I've sailed a few times at the north end of Lochside before Mctavish with mediocre results. Again IV is too close to ignore. For Westerlies, Pat Bay can be up and down alot, but not so noticeable with bigger gear. Watch for float planes :shock: