Alaska kite/work adventure

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Alaska kite/work adventure

Post by juandesooka »

this would be a pretty cool experience for someone looking for a job and kiting adventure in Alaska.

Not for me...I can barely get approval to go to Port Renfrew for a day trip.
:shock: :oops: :lol:

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 551b472542

This might seem like an odd post, but I am looking for a hard working kiter to work with me as a crew member at my commercial fishing site in Bristol Bay Alaska. I am a long time kiter and run KiteSurf Alaska (www.kitesurfalaska.com) in the summer as well as Desert Wind Kiteboarding (www.desertwindkiteboarding.com) where I winter in Arizona. Since I will be kiting as well as fishing, I was thinking it would be ideal if I could find a hard worker who will also kite with me!

The type of fishing I do is called setnetting, which is a shore based style of gill net fishing for red (sockeye) salmon. I worked for 10 year on boats and recently bought this permit so I could kite and sleep on shore at night. It's much more civilized. The area of Bristol Bay we setnet in is called Ugashik. This is a unique opportunity to see a beautiful and remote part of Alaska and to make some money and get some cold water kiting in the process. Wildlife, scenery, rustic living and of course fish are all part of the experience.

But, of course the job comes first, so in addition to being a kiter, I am looking for someone fairly specific for this job. I are looking for a male crewmember with some or all of these attributes:
-Physically strong (very active, athlete types are ideal)
-Accustomed to hard outdoor work (must have experience in outdoor/physical work. Fishing experience is good but not a must. Construction, raft guiding, type job experience are good.)
-Easy-going & mellow attitude (I need to be able to live with you for 30 days in the middle of nowhere)
-Fast learner and willing to work hard (fishing is anything but predictable so some times we will fish day after with little sleep, and other times we will have entire days off)

Pay and time commitment:
-We pay for a plane ticket from Anchorage, Alaska to where we fish.
-We provide all food and housing.
-We need a crewmember for about 30 days (June 20-July 30).
-Pay is 10% of total catch (a job perk is that i'll get you any kite gear you want for cost).

We live here in Flagstaff, AZ, during the winter and would like to meet anyone who is interested in this job. A face to face meeting is absolutely a must so if you dont live in the area, consider how we can meet.

Please call or email me to off the forum if your interested. No shit kickers. Serious, qualified kiters only.
Traveler – 907 299 1119 \
SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy

if..

Post by SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy »

I'm vegan, but i'd be all over this in a second if it was right now...needing work badly, and love that Alaska!!! kiting would be epic as the mountains and ocean...I'm sure!!!
Kevin

If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy. Be content with what you have take joy in the way things are. When you realize you have all you need, the World belongs to you.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

You don't have to eat the fish you catch. :D
Don't forget to bring a towel!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I think your citizenship or ability to stay and work in the US is more of an issue than any extreme self-imposed restrictions on your inate omnivore diet :roll: not to mention guys locked on a boat or camping on a rock for weeks in cold Alaska and long hours playing and sweating together :shock: salmon smell and slime just rounds out that picture nicely for me ..... This during peak Oregon or Nitinat (or anywhere windy) season.....is attractive? Maybe I'm just weird but ....ya gotta be kidding :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy

adventures

Cmon KUS, isn't working illegally in foreign countries for cash under the table a part of life's grand adventure? I guess you didn't hear about my flight from Zanzibar from an angry dutch man last summer as a kiteboarding instructor trying to avoid a dark and dingy jail cell.

Personally as a vegan (not omnivore) my inate (natural or inherent) tendency is to gravitate towards eating meat (I have to be self-disciplined to maintain my veganism), and so i guess i don't really have a problem with smell like salmon or being around other dudes who do (do I detect a trace of homophobia here???)...I don't even have a problem catching fish, cause if it ain't me it's gonna be someone else, and I missed Nitinaht last summer and that didn't kill me either...while we all love it here there's a big big world out there with a tonne of beach!!!

See Hard Sun or Society by Eddie Vedder.
Kevin

If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy. Be content with what you have take joy in the way things are. When you realize you have all you need, the World belongs to you.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: adventures

Post by KUS »

Denmankiter wrote:Cmon KUS, isn't working illegally in foreign countries for cash under the table a part of life's grand adventure?.....do I detect a trace of homophobia here???..while we all love it here there's a big big world out there with a tonne of beach!!!
True enough, as a younger man perhaps a month in Alaska doesn't seem so bad, even under those restrictions.... :D As for the phobia, nope, way off on that one, to each their own :wink: I just enjoy a good gender balance...and not BO
Yes, there is a ton of beach, exploration is a blast....just not sure I would fly to Alaska and work on a fishing vessel to find it tho. OTLunch's warm, windy, sandy, turquoise colored, hot blooded Costa Rica destination sounds much more appealing :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!

juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Easy for me to stand back and say how awesome something like this might be, as I'm not going to be doing the work that pays for the fun.

My guess would be brutally hard work but pretty decent pay. Less dangerous than ocean commercial fishing but equally unpleasant while doing the work.

But having a boss that is an avid kiter is gold ... 'cause you have to know work will be structured around wind chasing to some extent. Like set the nets in the morning, chase the midday thermals, then collect the fish and the $$ in the evening...light until midnight anyway. Relax with a brew, sleep for a few hours, then do it again, all summer long. To this guy, chained to an office chair, that sounds pretty good!

Of course I'm romanticizing it.....I'm sure there's negatives....the clouds of hungry insects, never dark enough to sleep, always wet feet, straight up crazy locals, etc.

Odd connection...friend of my wife's family did this in his youth, wrote a book about it....good read before embarking on such an adventure :D

http://www.amazon.com/Nets-Salmon-Fishe ... ishing+net
SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy

epic opportunity

I concur. It's an epic opportunity.
Kevin

KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: epic opportunity

Post by KUS »

Denmankiter wrote:It's an epic opportunity.
you already said that, Kevin.....wow, I am starting to feel bad that apparently you can't go.....are you sure you can't go? Hate missing life''s trains, better get on it 8)
PS: bring your "Old Spice" :lol:
Wish less, sail more!!

downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

"hard sun" is NOT by Eddie Vedder!!! :x
gabe

Post by gabe »

The last post from desert wind the employer is 2 years old.
So do not have high hopes for a summer adventure.
Cold water kiting when finally I can forget gloves, boots and hood?
Not for me.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Doh, you're right Gabe...I didn't notice the post date and didn't go on to page 2. :oops:

It's a neat idea ... but like almost everything in life, if it sounds too good to be true, then .... :roll:
AC

?

Post by AC »

How much money could someone mark in the season ?