To windsurf or kite?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
windaddiction

To windsurf or kite?

Post by windaddiction »

So now as I am wondering why I ever stopped playing on the water, I had the chance to pop in and see Pasta due for a quick chat. One discussion that came up was kiting versus windsurfing. I grew up sailing small boats and that led to windsurfing, and surfing to some extent. however seeing as how a lot of people have transitioned to kiting, I am curious about it. Also being at the point of getting my tax return soon I have to decide to buy more windsurfing gear or possibly take up kiting.

The things I like about windsurfing are the connection to the sail, as well as how much rigging and tuning can play a role in speed and overall fun. I like the feel of my feet on the board and truing with rails, as well as being able to use my center of effort to maneuver in light winds.

What have some of your experiences been those that have gone over, regrets lessons thoughts. Anything would be great. I have been dropping major hints ( contsantaly leaving the web browser open on certian pages) on what I might like for my upcoming birthday.....

As well If I can get some lessons is there any options to learn some where in town or around Victoria. I don't know if I'll have time for a Nitinat trip with work and family commitments.... my wife already bugs me about having far too many hobbies ect...

Thanks
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

I'm the wrong guy to ask, as I never connected well with windsurfing, only ever got the basics. But i'll chime in anyway.

To me, kiting seems a lot more versatile and free....your overall weight on the water is much less, and you have a lot less gear in front of you. You can carve tight figure 8s on a wake board or you can boost 10 foot airs in 12-15kts of wind, and just slowly drift down with almost no impact.

As for learning curve, I kind of equate windsurfing to kiting as skiing to snowboarding.....windsurfing and skiing are a more gradual and longer learning curve, more technical; kiting and snowboarding are more intuitive, by feel, and the learning curve is short but steep....can be unpleasant but doesn't last as long. Three days of lessons and you're riding confidently.

The one aspect I've seen windsurfing do better than kiting is stormy conditions....once it gets above 35-40kts, there's not many kiters who will chance the gusty, stormy conditions.

The other is in places with bad launches and in sketchy wind conditions.....a lot easier and safer to paddle in a windsurf board than all these lines and soggy parachutes.

More than 2 cents...that's a good nickel's worth.
Last edited by juandesooka on Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JL

Post by JL »

40+ (tha'ts wind in knots not age) we have a few who kite: Grant W., Marathon Dave etc. 8) Windoc is the only windsurfer I can think of who quit kiting to focus on looping his windsurfer 8) I find kiting more dynamic & less gear is req'd. for a large wind range :P
Thermals are good.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

over the falls

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

well Dave if you go over the falls with a windsurfer you'd be dead.
Attachments
wipeout.jpg
wipeout.jpg (174.1 KiB) Viewed 2752 times
Last edited by thankgodiatepastafobreaky on Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
curses - foiled again!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

:lol: really :?: Image
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....

but he didn't go over the falls!
curses - foiled again!
windaddiction

Post by windaddiction »

Okay so taking away the fact that surfing isn't really what I am planning on doing...... the SUP will be okay cuase 10 or 15 knots i can just slosh onto some waves.... but the high wind big waves don't appeal to me much anymore.... it's all about TOW!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

windaddiction wrote:.. but the high wind big waves don't appeal to me much anymore....
ok, ur just wasting everyone's time here now :roll: :lol:
thankgodiatepastafobreaky wrote:but he didn't go over the falls!
agreed going over the falls is not so much fun but we have all done it repeatedly....well....because it can be fun.....esp if you live :D the times I have done it my gear didn't much matter, it was my body that got pile driven into the beach :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....

the biggest reason I hear from ex-windsurfers or soon to be ex-windsurfers is that they want to get out in lighter winds, and they see the kiters out with 12M kites and jumping. So you can do both but if you have to pick one and are only into light wind sailing, then the choice is kind of obvious. But the kite lessons and gear will cost you more than a windsurfing kit with quiver of 2 or 3 sails/masts.
curses - foiled again!
windaddiction

Post by windaddiction »

Well I have to be practicle.... i know i know.... Can't buy gear for every occasion :-({|= sooooo gotta go with what gets you out the most! :mrgreen:

yea Kus - I had a face plant into the sand on this one. bloody face and free chiropractic neck adjustment. I was very lucky. No fun going over when it's shallow.
curses - foiled again!
windaddiction

Post by windaddiction »

Are lessons extremely pricey? Is that what I can't see any costs on any websites?
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Lessons....I think it is roughly $200 a day, or around $500 for a 3 day package. Find a 4-line trainer kite....you can move along the learning quicker, possibly cut out 1 day lesson.

Gear....can be cheap or expensive depending on your wants. Seems to be 3 camps of kiters:
1) replace gear every year -- the safest and least hassle option, but $$$
2) buy 1 year old gear and use it 2-3 years -- keep it til it's pretty worn out, starts to cause hassles with failures and repairs, $$
3) buy old gear and use it until it dies. $

For option 3, a buddy just got geared up with 3 kites, bar/lines, harness, board....for roughly $700. Pretty old gear, but it works.
kookkiller

gear

Post by kookkiller »

sometimes u can find windsurfing gear cheap, buy it. get some kite gear, i have seen that cheap too. put 2 kites either end of the windsurfer making a table. picnic the wife. enjoy both sports. both great to watch and seem equally enjoyable
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Hey JL, I never quit kiting! I'm just on extended leave... :wink:

In the right hands a kite slays a windsurfer in most conditions. They are more maneuverable, they catch way more waves, and they allow for different lines and maneuvers on a wave that windyboarders can only dream of. The learning curve is short and steep. They travel in a totally compact and light way. They get to wear their shorts over their full suits (WTF??).

So why the hell do I still primarily windsurf?

Because I love it. The very things that make it tough to learn also keep it interesting for a lifetime as long as you are willing to push yourself a little. I'll stop windsurfing when I get bored. Hasn't happened yet, though I am choosier about the days that pull me away from my family now. The feeling of riding a windsurfer is more engaging to me over kiting even though you have all this comparatively heavy gear. When you land a tough maneuver, it's a real accomplishment. I find with kiting that you use the kite so much to pull you out (and in) of trouble that good flying skills can allow a fluffed trick to come out ok. With windsurfing there's no faking it :wink: . You just crash. And crash. And crash. Until you don't! The reward for ME is higher with WSing. Kiting has its own unique rewards, but it is so different in feel, power generation and sensation that the two sports don't compare very well. Unfortunately WSing down at Cook doesn't really showcase the sport very well. Same for Nitinat. In my opinion WSing shines more in high wind and waves, so it has a possibly narrower range of appeal for someone who has been doing it for a while. I see a lot of long- time kiters mowing the lawn too, however!

I'll kite again for sure. But for now I'm still having too much fun on my heavy, unwieldy, dinosaurish windsurf gear! If kiting grabs you, do it. It's awesome too. Or do both! :)
Poultry in motion