I'm FLY-IIIIIIIIIING!!!!!!!!

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

I'm FLY-IIIIIIIIIING!!!!!!!!

Post by winddoctor »

ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Thats incredible (a Google search shows it haapened back in 2001)
http://starbulletin.com/2001/06/01/sports/story2.html
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

WOW!! As good an arguement as any for sticking with windsurfing!! As Dale says, Airtime, its all about airtime! Sometimes there can be too much of a good thing....
jimbob

string

Post by jimbob »

And of course, those strings are unbreakable right?
Wingnut

flying

Post by Wingnut »

At least he knows what a thermal is now. If he stayed centered in it he potentially could have gone to cloudbase. :-k
JL

Post by JL »

8) GULP!!!!
Thermals are good.
AirushDM

Post by AirushDM »

Any info on the clip. Who, What, Where, When, and Why.
Kite Kook

Thermals

Post by Kite Kook »

AirushDM wrote:Any info on the clip. Who, What, Where, When, and Why.
His name is Erik, I met and kited with him when I was at Kailua 2 years ago. He got lofted somewhere else on Oahu, I believe, by a crazy onshore thermal. Luckily, he had also been a paraglider, so he sort of knew what happened.

I don't know much about those kind of thermals, but it is my understanding they don't happen around here (thank God!).

The interesting thing is, as shown in the video, he was orginaly UNhooked. He hooked in while in the air, just before being violently yanked.

Dude is lucky to be alive, hard to believe he didn't break anything!

Cheers.
Vive et Ama
clownboy

Post by clownboy »

I read an article in the British Kitesurf mag about it. They explained that in light conditions a pocket of warm air can accumulate and suddenly rise. Mr Myerscough told me to watch for a similar effect at Cook St. as the air can pile up in front of the cliff. Only in light conditons, though, as I understand it, sufficient wind will blow the micro-cell away before it gets large.
jamie

Post by jamie »

there must be heaps of these stealthy updrafts lurking in our atmosphere. heaven knows what they're up to up there! frothing around, waiting to strike at any second no doubt. i'll stick to windskipping and death from above will be evaded for the time being.