Be cautious staying in Maui (VRBO 474478)

A place to discuss anything non-weather and non-wind/kitesurf related. Generally unmoderated, but rules are enforced on occasion => you can get suspended or kicked out and messages can get deleted.
missvixen

Be cautious staying in Maui (VRBO 474478)

Post by missvixen »

Through various kiters and windsurfers as well as some forums, I had heard of the Kuau Cove apartments in Paia, Maui. The consensus was that they were reasonably priced and a good location- so I booked a month long holiday through VRBO for one of the units. (Here's the link) http://www.vrbo.com/474478

Because the owner has threatened to sue me for slander if I post a negative review about her unit, I decided I would instead post an email she sent me. Everyone on these forums is intelligent, so I’m sure the underlying reason for our departure will speak for itself in the email. To summarize there was an individual there we felt was a threat to our children and explained our concerns to the owner. She responded and said if we didn’t feel comfortable we could check out and receive a full refund for the remaining nights. Once we checked out as agreed upon she changed her mind and kept our money (23 nights worth! And she even re-rented it!!)…. Below is the email she sent me (I changed the name of the individual in question). Happy reading ☺

Subject: Re: Hello
Date: December 22, 2013 1:41:20 PM PST
To: Kelly Simpson

Kelly,

The behavior you describe does seems very odd. I have two daughters, he never invited them in his house. But he did love to give them stuffed animals.

If Frank is bothering you, tell him to stay away and stop taking pictures. Keep your family safe; you know what is right and wrong for you children.

Please remember to change the code on the little lock box too. I never gave Frank the code or any keys. Even though I think Frank is harmless he just has no need to access the unit. The code has not changed in a while so regardless it is due.

I would not want Frank to know this, but, just after purchasing our unit and meeting Frank I paid for an extensive background and criminal check on him. It cost me but set my mind at ease. I don't know why but felt like he was overly friendly, a single old guy living alone and so close to my family. I needed to know he what was up with him.

This is what I know for a fact:

Frank: Born Jul 26th, 1947 (Age 66)
Married once at 18 and was only married for 3 years
Two Daughters
Five Grandchildren
Has a Medical Marijuana Card
Has cancer that recently spread to other parts of his body (this is why he is currently receiving help from the state)
Convicted of Welfare Fraud in 1988 and 2005 (working under the table and collecting benefits) He was charged and convicted of the two cases at the same time.
He only has a High School Education
Lived in Marland, Florida, California, & Hawaii
Has never been arrested
Never owned a home
Credit Sore of 610

Please do not tell Frank I had him investigated. But since you are worried like I was I wanted you to know what I know.

If Frank keeps bother you and you feel like you want to stop staying in our condo I would understand. I would refund you the remainder of your rent. It is important that you and your family feel safe. I think Frank is just a lonely old guy.

Even with all that said I would never allow him to be alone with my children.

I have hard rules for people who are alone with my children.

Offer still stands to completely replace the lock or provide you with anything you need for your stay.

Much Mahalo,

Kandy
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

wow. That kinda seems like a "must post" to VRBO ... as that is the primary benefit of the site, to read the reviews good and bad of those who have stayed there before you. If you just felt creeped out by a friendly old man in the complex, I might write that off as you being overly sensitive. But with the owner acknowledging it and stating concerns for her own family....that seems to be bordering on lying by omission. If I was staying there with my daughters I'd be PI**ED to find out on arrival that this was a known issue not brought to my attention.

I can't see how anyone on VRBO could sue a customer for slander....the feedback system there is all about posting the good and the bad. The owner has the ability to respond. Just don't post any of this private stuff. If in doubt, write out your post and forward to VRBO before posting ... and make sure you tell them you were threatened and also about the refund broken promise ... because I suspect both of those can get her kicked off that site.
missvixen

VRBO doesn't handle dispute resolution

Post by missvixen »

Thanks for your comments and your thoughts regarding VRBO. We did in fact immediately file a complaint with VRBO as we paid the funds through the VRBO website. This is the response we received from them:

"Per our Terms of Use, we are an advertising venue bringing owners and travelers together. We are not involved in the rental transaction or management of a property; therefore, we are not able to mediate disputes between owners and travellers."

After some further online research, it appears that VRBO also has the reputation for taking down negative reviews. As they said it best, they are in the advertising business. As a result I am reluctant to use VRBO in the future.

There is however a wonderful vacation rental company that was instrumental in helping us find alternate accommodation at the busiest time of year (over Christmas) http://www.hookipa.com
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

I can't believe that someone would release all that personal information about someone else. Criminal record, credit score! That's gotta be a violation of a persons right to privacy!
I wish my TOW was longer!
jim mckenzie

Post by jim mckenzie »

specific information about his medical condition seems pretty personal too. I'm quite surprised at that.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

at the end of the day, I would concur although perhaps with better spelling
Keep your family safe; you know what is right and wrong for you children.
The not refunding the money after agreeing to is a job for Gino if not at first at least using the threat of the police. 23 nights is a lot of coin in Maui. Maybe Kandy needs a little investigating of her own. I would not count on VRBO but it is interesting to learn they remove negative posts.... :roll:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....