kiting expedition

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
colin

kiting expedition

Post by colin »

hey,

i am in need of a lifetime adventure and have decided that i would like to buy an around the world ticket and do a kiteboarding expedition when i grad. one for the books. i have been thinking about some things i could accomplish and am getting excited. although this trip would not be for another two years it will require a lot of organization.

i would like to break the distance record, currently 90 miles, and have also thought about landboarding across the australian outback. i thought about starting the trip with a downwinder from gordos to kook.

if anyone has any sugestions or ideas as to places to go, out of the way or popular spots, or things i could do, it would help.

if i were to accomplish my goal i would need a team of a few riders and would need sponsorship to do what i want. i have sugested this to my buddies but havnt discussed it in detail. i would also film the entire expedition.

i would appreciate any feedback you may have

colin
Last edited by colin on Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kite+waves=!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Sounds cool.

Maybe after thinking on it for a couple more years, you can diverge from the "I need, I would appeciate, I want" approach to also include changing one other person's life for the better in the process of your expedition. This might also support your "sponsorship" thoughts. :)

As for ideas and breaking records, kiting across one of the great lakes or the "outback" of the plains in your own country of Canada might lift (ha, pardon the pun) the pride and spirits of your fellow kiters, countrymen & women. 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
kus you suck

kus you suck

Post by kus you suck »

colin go for it man......BK
colin

Post by colin »

i appreciate KUS's comments, there is a lot to learn if a trip of this magnitude will be pulled off.

an additional trip in ontario across one or several of the great lakes would be cool. start in thunder bay and reach the st lawrence?
kite+waves=!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Ouch

Post by KUS »

now that hurts...BK, you really know how to stick it to a guy, ......man

Hey Colin, not to take the wind out of your kite. I guess my thoughts were around BC, Canada (North America for that matter) hurtin' for role models.....:roll: and your description kinda didn't fit that, LOL

Your downwinder, an around the world ticket and kiting in all corners of the globe does sound more than appealing. Good luck! :D
Wish less, sail more!!

skypilot

Post by skypilot »

hey colin,

All I can say is good luck! Here is a list of some of the spots that you might like to check out...

http://www.skypilotkiteboarding.com/pag ... travel.htm

Try and immerse yourself in as much culture as possible for your big trip. If it is going to be a once in a lifetime trip, make sure you do it right!

Good luck
colin

destinations

Post by colin »

thinking about destinations, if anyone knows anything useful about these places it would be nice to hear it.

easter island, mediterranean, west coast of aus, somwhere around amazon, baja, east coast of south affrica, tailand, japan
kite+waves=!
skypilot

Post by skypilot »

Not quite South Africa, but how about Kenya?

http://www.skypilotkiteboarding.com/homepage.html
colin

Post by colin »

kenya looks super sweet, i would like to try and camp as much as possible to cut down on costs.
kite+waves=!
Crabber

Post by Crabber »

The Land of Auz Is the most amazing for kite surfing that I have seen""
asscrack

Around the world

Post by asscrack »

YEH COLIN DUDE,THE WORLD.fOLLOW THE TRADES.MAP THEM OUT.BUY AN ONE WAY ROUND TRIP.ALWAYS FORWARD IN MOTION.NEVER BACK.VENEZUALA,THE ISLAND OF MARGARITE A GOOD SPOT TO START.GASOLINE IS ONLY 25 CENTS GALLON.TRANSPORTATION IS CHEAP AND GOOD.STOP IN THE D.R. TO SEE ME ,FEB,MARCH. 8)
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and Life is a beach

Post by guest »

Jericoacoara , Brasil ...... unreal in every way . A bit hard to get to but worth every ounce of effort once you're there...
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

see, ruskie found this link http://earthflyer.de/earth.php?page=1&lang=eng . wouldn't it be cool to have a canadian do this across our country? Say for promoting environmentally friendly windpower in BC? (if you believed in that....I still think Hydro power on non-salmon streams is the way to go, I digress) The windpower thing has great momentum right now so Colin, you'd find sponsors fer sure.
:P
Wish less, sail more!!

colin

Post by colin »

That tour was exactly what i was thinking about. glad to know its possible. I bet a tour like that would be possible for a large portion of the canada in the winter. it would definitely be a cool experience to do something like that for the country. finding time to do it would be nice.

as for the energy point. i have been fortunate enough to work on micro hydro stations on the island. I had a hand in designing all the electrical
for two 6MW stations that are being put up between port alberni and uculet. the stations take water from lakes that are high up on the mountains, diverting some of the water from the stream coming down. it comes down in a large piped and hits a paddle wheel with two jets, like very big fire nozzles. All happening because of privatization.
kite+waves=!
Pete

Filmaker

Post by Pete »

If you're serious about a film then I think you should talk to Sean in Victoria:

http://www.beyondgravity.com/seanwhite/Default.htm