Nitinat closed ?... travel restriction in effect

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Nitinat closed ?... travel restriction in effect

Post by bwd »

Hey everyone check out:

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/ftp/!Project/W ... -aug28.pdf

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/ftp/!Project/W ... %20map.pdf

Due to the fire danger it looks like Nitinat might be off limits this long weekend...that really sucks. Anyone have any info on this?
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

more info here: http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/recrea ... e_bans.htm

Still not sure if Nitinat is affected by this. From the map it looks like it is, but likely they get more rain which would decrease the danger. I was planning on heading up tomorrow morning - I think I'll try and call the store to get more info.
wind_dummy

Post by wind_dummy »

yo bwd, i saw this earlier today :

http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/nrm_news_rel ... 000773.htm

says : The restriction order, under section 84 of the Forest Practices Code of British Columbia Act, covers all Crown land and Forest Service roads in the restricted areas. Private, municipal and First Nations reserve land are exempt from the order. Forest Service roads accessing private property and commercial lodges remain open. As well, roads into provincial parks that are not closed remain open.

still kinda confusing
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Called the Ditidaht band office this morning and they haven't received any word about the campsite. This is likely good news since when a campfire ban came into effect a few weeks ago they were told right away. They have received word about the backcountry ban but nothing specific to the campsite. Plus they said the roads will probably remain open and that they were already lots of fishermen and windsurfers up there already.

If anyone wants more info you can call the forestry office in Port Alberni at 731-3000. I'm leaving now - see you there, maybe. The Strait looks like it could be good this weekend too,

dave
morewind

Post by morewind »

I called the Alberni District office at 10:45. Official there are presently in a meeting to decide if "enhanced campsites" like Nitinat should be exempt from the ban. The person I talked to thought a decision would come within the hour.

I'll call back before noon to see if the Nitinat site is a go and post the outcome...
morewind

Post by morewind »

UPDATE: talked to Alberni District forest office at 12:00 noon. No decision has yet been made on the Nitinat campsite. Still meeting on the travel restriction issues. They said the decision will likely be made at Regional level, whatever that means.

They suggested I call back today in the 2pm - 3pm time frame.

If the decision is to close the campsite they said a person would be dispatched to the site to kick everyone out...

stay tuned... I'm betting the site will stay Open. I'll post again when new information comes up
Paul Betts

Post by Paul Betts »

Dave, the information that the Nitinat Windsurfing Society has is that the site at Nitinat was closed as of noon Friday. The operator of the site should be asking people to leave and the site will be closed until Sept 14. We are trying to confirm this with the operator and the Min of Forests and will post as soon as we can

Paul Betts Nitinat Windsurfing Society.
morewind

Post by morewind »

Yet another update ...

NO DECISION YET

Alberni district forest office still involved in meetings about closure issues, including decision on Nitinat Lk site access. Office shuts at 4:30pm - a decision is promised before then. I'll call again around 4pm and post any findings...
Paul Betts

Post by Paul Betts »

Just talked to the South Island Office at 2:30 pm Friday afternoon. The site has not been offically closed yet and if the District Manager makes a decision by the end of the day they will phone me and let me know. However, with the exception of the Port Alberni road, all other roads into Nitinat are technically close. (you figure out what technically closed means)

Paul Betts Nitinat Windsurfing Society.
Paul Betts

Post by Paul Betts »

Update.

Just got a call from South Island Forestry. The road from Lake Cowichan and the Nitinat camp site are open for this weekend.

Paul Betts NWS
morewind

Post by morewind »

Paul Betts wrote:Update.

Just got a call from South Island Forestry. The road from Lake Cowichan and the Nitinat camp site are open for this weekend.

Paul Betts NWS
Waahoo! thanks Paul ... See you at the lake!
mr. kurious kiter

Post by mr. kurious kiter »

Paul Betts wrote:Update.

Paul Betts NWS
thanks mr. betts. but i was wondering... is the road from Youbou also open, or just the road from Lake Cowichan? Did you get info on that?

we prefer to take the road from Youbou

cheers

Post by Guest »

mr. kurious kiter wrote:thanks mr. betts. but i was wondering... is the road from Youbou also open, or just the road from Lake Cowichan? Did you get info on that? we prefer to take the road from Youbou cheers
The Youbou route was open as of 6:30 pm this evening with no indication that it would be closing. Hopefully that will still be the case for weekend. BTW nitinat was perfect 4.7 (I'm 195) with good swell for at least 2 hours. Not bad for the end of August!! See you there this weekend!!